Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you buy from shopping channels because of "vendor rep" or host"?

If the vendor is professional and gives all information on a product I am interested in it could influence me a bit more so than the host because I don't believe most of them.  I mean how many hair dryers are their favorite, and how many cosmetics are the best they ever used.  Another reason for hosts to keep their opinions to themselves and just present the product with full information.  I can tolerate a host that I don't like for a bit if I'm interested.  I really like Curtis Stone's products on HSN and will watch some even with the crazy women aare the host.

Respected Contributor

Well, I suppose I do.  Hadn’t really thought about it until you asked.  For example - Doris Dalton.  I would (and have) bought anything she recommends.  I don’t know her personally but I feel like I do and I have grown to trust her!  Plus, I wish I looked exactly like her.  Maybe if I buy enough of her Doll10 I will. Hahaha. I think she’s beautiful.

Likewise, the mypillow guy.  I don’t like him I’m tired of seeing him and I don’t buy his stuff.  No particular reason just my instinct!?!

Another point to make note of is Paula Deen.  Will just say - a hero turned to a zero.  I turn off any device that’s on if I hear the sound of her voice.

Okay could go on longer but I won’t.  Anxious to read what y’all have to say.

Honored Contributor

No, I don't.  What I like is very exact.

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes.

Bob Bowersox convinced me that I needed T-Fal pots and pans and a bread machine.

Mary Beth convinced me that I needed a Northern Nights comforter and some Boyd's Bears.

Patti convinced me to try various beauty products.

After all these years, Rick was the one who talked me into trying Diamonique.  

Funny how popular hosts like Lisa R. and Jill never sold me anything.  Some items like gold jewelry sold themselves--no host needed.  These days I buy from browsing online and don't watch as much as I used to, but I will watch when certain hosts are on and immediately change the channel when I see other hosts.

Valued Contributor

I am not usually influenced by any host, but I have purchased some NN sheets because I liked both the host and the vendor.  Bad move because the sheets are extremely poor quality, basically junk that is going to be donated.  On the other hand, there are several vendors that I refuse to give a penny of my money and I change the channel immediately, regardless of who the host may be. 

Honored Contributor

@Spurt    In regards to your post, how does QVC now give "credit" for a host for a sale?   So many shoppers now order online and not by phone when the host is presenting the item.  Just curious.  I know they don't get a commission like some people think, but I'm sure it helps their "popularity" when their contract is negotiated.   Many times I will see XX host present something that looks good to me.  Now I think about it more than I did years ago.  I may order the item 2 days later or even wait for a free shipping day.  How would QVC know that I was sold the item by XX host?  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Daysdee wrote:

@Spurt    In regards to your post, how does QVC now give "credit" for a host for a sale?   So many shoppers now order online and not by phone when the host is presenting the item.  Just curious.  I know they don't get a commission like some people think, but I'm sure it helps their "popularity" when their contract is negotiated.   Many times I will see XX host present something that looks good to me.  Now I think about it more than I did years ago.  I may order the item 2 days later or even wait for a free shipping day.  How would QVC know that I was sold the item by XX host?  

@Daysdee 

They apparently have computer reports to keep track of it all...On the LibertyInteractive webset under Investor Relations and another topic Press Releases...they have full presentations with graphs, charts, tables, their competition.  Of course they don't release to the public specific breakdowns in sales per host just overall companywide sales for on-air, off-air, and by device... and how the product category did--apparel, home, jewelry, kitchen, wellness etc 

The hosts don't get commission but sales impact salary raises, any bonuses, and contract renewal.  QVC keeps track of sales for that show and the host gets credit regardless of what platform it was ordered from (phone, computer, App etc).  They go by on-air product presentations for the sales count.  

The other category is Off-air sales.  Which are sales of products that did not appear on a QxH network that day. And they're about a third of sales, income largely of course through our digital platforms.

There is a subset of off-air sales called, digital-only sales. Those are sales of products that have never appeared on-air, and they represent about 5% of total sales in just under 15% of off-air sales.

From  Mike George's Press Conference May2019:

On-air sales are sales of products that appear on the QxH TV network that calendar day, regardless of whether the customer ordered the product over the phone, on our app or through our website. And on-air sales are about two-thirds of total sales.

Off-air sales are sales of products that did not appear on a QxH network that day. And they're about a third of sales, income largely of course through our digital platforms.

There is a subset of off-air sales called, digital-only sales. Those are sales of products that have never appeared on-air, and they represent about 5% of total sales in just under 15% of off-air sales. Our declining trend in the on-air sales was driven by several categories. The seasonal categories we feature in Q1, in particular gardening and fitness underperformed. Our food and cookware sales slowed significantly, in part because we underestimated the negative impact of the shift in Easter timing. We believe Easter timing also modestly negatively impacted customer readiness for spring fashion.

Finally, our beauty business, which has been a strong source of growth over many years declined as sales slowed for some of our most popular brands at QVC.  Our beauty and apparel are especially strong contributors to off-air sales as customers can take advantage of the wider assortments of proprietary and exclusive items available online, and these categories grew strongly in Q1.

Electronics is also an important component of off-air sales, especially among new and occasional customers. And while this business also grew in the quarter, the digital-only electronic sales slowed, as we removed lower margin items from the assortments.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/qurate-retail-inc-qrtea-q1-110911882.html

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

When 2 specific hosts are on, I refuse to watch the Q or order on-line.  

Respected Contributor

If a Host or Vendor teaches or shows me something,new I am influenced. I like scarves and seeing them with an outfit makes a difference or putting an outfit together. If it is a Make Up tip I will buy. Laura G. and Lancome`s David on H S N comes to mind. If a kitchen gadget is demonstrated and something I feel would benefit me, yes.

I would say that I can be more turned off as well and NOT purchase because of a Host or Vendor. Many comments have been posted on those issues. Then I really look further to other retailers if remotely interested. 

Honored Contributor

I don't buy just because of a host or presenter however, I will not watch when certain hosts are on because I just don't care for them.  I always order on .com anyhow.