Respected Contributor

Re: Do we know who is closing QVC ?

@Barb114 wrote:

@QVCkitty1

The sign off with Kathy and The Cup of English Tea was beautiful.  I too cried  from that. Those days are lost now. The Millenials have taken over. The oold days were the best. It might have been al about the bottom dollar, but it did no come across that way as it does now

The millenials and being hooked on technology have changed the way we live. I hate it. Too many people glued to phones, twitter, instagram etc. 

Honored Contributor

I agree about the technology.  It's handy in some ways, but I think it is changing the way we live and the way people act toward one another.  I don't do FaceBook, etc.  I think it's sad when you go to a restaurant and everyone at the next table is just on their phones and not speaking. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever

The hosts are on contract. They are not paid hourly.

Merry Christmas.

Super Contributor

I still have my A Cup Of Christmas Tea book and tea cup. <3

Super Contributor

First and most importantly, MERRY CHRISTMAS! we made it Smiley Happy

Secondly.....how about we lay off the millennials a bit? They have a lot to offer and bring to the table. Yeah the technology thing can get a bit aggravating; and the urge for constant traveling and global experiences can be a bit tough of Mom worrying herself sick while her daughter heads off to China......

but....

Some of the positives about that age range? They care about the BIG picture....long term effects on our planet, spending frugally, planning for the future. The ones I know personally are committed to causes--they yearn to make a difference! They value the importance of an education, and they do NOT value silly material possessions that many of us (myself included) can get hung up on at times. Heck in their prime years we may actually see poverty seriously reduced---or many less children going hungry. 

Do they have their negatives? Certainly. All the other age groups do too. But if I had to pick from all of those "groups" for who do I give the best chance of saving the planet? .......yep......they get my vote. 

Sorry, that got a bit rant-y. Guess that had been building up for a while lol....

Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas! So far we are having a great one here Smiley Happy

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Respected Contributor

@catchersmom wrote:

Secondly.....how about we lay off the millennials a bit? They have a lot to offer and bring to the table. Yeah the technology thing can get a bit aggravating; and the urge for constant traveling and global experiences can be a bit tough of Mom worrying herself sick while her daughter heads off to China......

but....

Some of the positives about that age range? They care about the BIG picture....long term effects on our planet, spending frugally, planning for the future. The ones I know personally are committed to causes--they yearn to make a difference! They value the importance of an education, and they do NOT value silly material possessions that many of us (myself included) can get hung up on at times. Heck in their prime years we may actually see poverty seriously reduced---or many less children going hungry. 

Do they have their negatives? Certainly. All the other age groups do too. But if I had to pick from all of those "groups" for who do I give the best chance of saving the planet? .......yep......they get my vote. 

Sorry, that got a bit rant-y. Guess that had been building up for a while lol....

Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas! So far we are having a great one here Smiley Happy

Catchersom, no disrespect to your daughter who sounds responsible and lovely but my experiences with youngsters is totally opposite of yours....

It seems most 20 somethings have "entitlement complexes"... and as far as being frugal I totally disagree. They want EVERYTHING and don't want to work for ANY of it. I offered nieces hand-me down furniture and they said no. They wound up spending over $2000 on new furniture ( probably onna credit card).  The young people today just expect it all and refuse to do the hard work to acquire it.  The young workers are unreliable, often take a job for a few weeks and then suddenly disappear when they don't feel like coming in. No 2 week notices to HR, they just flat out disappear. They don't have the same work ethic that our generation has.

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@catchersmom wrote:

but....

Catchersom, no disrespect to your daughter who sounds responsible and lovely but my experiences with youngsters is totally opposite of yours....

It seems most 20 somethings have "entitlement complexes"... and as far as being frugal I totally disagree. They want EVERYTHING and don't want to work for ANY of it. I offered nieces hand-me down furniture and they said no. They wound up spending over $2000 on new furniture ( probably onna credit card).  The young people today just expect it all and refuse to do the hard work to acquire it.  The young workers are unreliable, often take a job for a few weeks and then suddenly disappear when they don't feel like coming in. No 2 week notices to HR, they just flat out disappear. They don't have the same work ethic that our generation has.

There are huge generalizations here.  My experience is the exact opposite of yours.  "The young people today just expect it all and refuse to do the hard work to acquire it" is in a pretty dam*ing statement.  And IMO not at all true.

I''m also not sure what your nieces wanting to buy their own furniture (and paying for it on their own) has to do with this.  If you're hurt that they didn't want your used furniture, that's one thing. But it has nothing to do with being irresponsible and not having a work ethic.

I agree with @catchersmom.  My kids and their friends, my family members in that age group, and the many others who I work with and have worked with do not at all fit the stereotype of being entitled and lazy.  Not by a long shot.