Valued Contributor

Re: Do we care what hosts have bought before a show or what they want to buy?

I believe Marlo really was ordering the item. It was a clothing item, maybe Marla Wynne. It seemed to be selling out. I've seen hosts rave about an item so much that the vendor will say I'll make sure you get one. I remember when hosts would say they couldn't order until after the show so the customers could get the item.That impressed me. Seeing hosts order while on air, doesn't.
Valued Contributor

I agree.  I think when you are at work (unless on break), you should be doing your JOB-not shopping.  When you're hosting, be a host, not a customer.  If it's sold out, sobeit.  Customers lose out when hosts make the purchase(s) first too.  

"I never changed, I just learned."
Respected Contributor

It's called MARKETING!

Valued Contributor

@sunshine45 to me it sounds like if I am buying it, then why wouldn't you want to buy it.  It sounds more in the tone of you gotta get it cuz I did. Just how I hear it. Wonder how much of it will be returned?! Sounds more like a sales technique to me. A cooking host does that a lot when I watched. I don't know if he is still doing it.

Honored Contributor

@Styleovertrend wro

@sunshine45 to me it sounds like if I am buying it, then why wouldn't you want to buy it.  It sounds more in the tone of you gotta get it cuz I did. Just how I hear it. Wonder how much of it will be returned?! Sounds more like a sales technique to me. A cooking host does that a lot when I watched. I don't know if he is still doing it.

@Styleovertrend 

i know i have enough willpower to not feel "pressured" by a tv host, a stranger, a family member, or even a friend. i also know that if i like something that may be presented, i will investigate it a bit further with or without the recommendation of the host or the vendor. i trust my own instincts and i know my own style.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I have been "burned" in the past purchasing items because the host said they own the item. Many times I wonder if it is a marketing scheme or whether they really do love the item.  Sadly some of the items were never even opened!  They sat in boxes down the cellar.  I finally said enough is enough and now do thorough research before ordering. Some of us on the boards fell for the pitch because these people are also Friends.

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I have been "burned" in the past purchasing items because the host said they own the item. Many times I wonder if it is a marketing scheme or whether they really do love the item.  Sadly some of the items were never even opened!  They sat in boxes down the cellar.  I finally said enough is enough and now do thorough research before ordering. Some of us on the boards fell for the pitch because these people are also Friends.

No, @Reever , they are absolutely NOT your friends. They're sales people. They're using the tactics they need to use to get you to buy what they're selling. That's it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

No, I do not care.  Nor l do I care what celebrity has bought some item!!   All are selling tactics and do not sway my purchasing choices!!

Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

No, @Reever , they are absolutely NOT your friends. They're sales people. They're using the tactics they need to use to get you to buy what they're selling. That's it. 

Im facebook friends with many of the hosts.  They may not be "real" friends but they are part of our social networks.  I long for the days of the past when we did not have virtual networks of friends but these are the times we live in.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Im facebook friends with many of the hosts.  They may not be "real" friends but they are part of our social networks.  I long for the days of the past when we did not have virtual networks of friends but these are the times we live in.

Sorry, but the hosts public facebook pages don't have friends. They have followers...open to anyone. The more followers they have, the better. It's another way to drive sales, pure and simple. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~