Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do shopping channels sell blocks of time (hours) to vendors?

How much does a host cost per hour?

Honored Contributor

People claim this happens but I don't know how they'd know for certain. I see one poster ""read it"" but she doesn't say where. Judith Ripka must have dropped a bundle the past few days.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

To the vendor (ripka, keurig, wen, philosophy etc,) it is simply advertising costs for blanket infomercials 24 hours a day, which is not available elsewhere.

Good for the business === bad for customers.

Respected Contributor

It's no telling, you don't see a lot of information on it. I know when I was looking for more information on those click and carry bag holders, somewhere she said she had to sell a lot to be asked back for a 'spot'. I can't remember if it was 3,000 or 30,000. LOL, I know that a big difference, but a lot either way. I figure the repeat sellers must be selling a lot.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Who knows, but it certainly seems like there are brands that appear to purchase airtime and infomercial production services, based on the sheer frequency that they're on and the type of products they represent. I'm thinking here of the whole Dyson, Dell, Vitamix, Wen, Philosophy, Keurig, etc. contingent... If accurate, it's probably cheaper for them to pay the Q for production and hosting than it is to contract to have their own infomercials produced, and the Q has that built in audience... I'd have to guess that the Q is a mixed bag, selling both products to customers and production services and airtime to companies but it does seem as thought the balance has shifted... and badly.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

There is an annoying WEN infomercial on somewhere on cable/satellite every minute of the day and night. Now there's a company I wish would disappear.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

On 3/15/2015 Kachina624 said: There is an annoying WEN infomercial on somewhere on cable/satellite every minute of the day and night. Now there's a company I wish would disappear.
I always wonder, if they are so amazing, how come their products aren't available at the regular stores???
Respected Contributor

I would imagine they do. After all, QVC is one huge advertising space.

Super Contributor

On 3/15/2015 Kachina624 said: People claim this happens but I don't know how they'd know for certain. I see one poster "read it" but she doesn't say where. Judith Ripka must have dropped a bundle the past few days.
Yes, I did read it. I will try to locate the source. The article I read did not say that every vendor did it; the ones they named are products that often do infomercials. Shark, Dyson, Vitamix ; not sure what others. I do not remember seeing Ripka.
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/14/2015 Johnnyeager said:

Thanks for the verification. It's so obvious. I think you have to be somewhat deficient or dense to think otherwise. I guess it makes business sense to them to sell the station and its viewers, I sure would for the money. As a viewer and buyer, you like it, or you don't. It is what it is.

Just because someone may have a different opinion than yours does not make that one deficient or dense. I choose to deal with facts. I do not know and neither do you. If you choose to cite a reliable source, than I will change my opinion.