Respected Contributor

Re: Do hosts hand select the products for "their" shows?

In most cases, I would say no.

Honored Contributor

Jill's husband also owns a company that helps other companies sell items on QVC including Beyers Choice and Calista Tools.  Her promotion of some of the products also assists her husband's company. 

Honored Contributor

No.  

The business plan for marketing merchandise is played out months, even years, in advance.    

An item being made overseas today could take months to ship, pass customs, truck to warehouses, then to distribution centers....all that to make the '7-10 day delivery' promise we see on our TV screen.

Merchandise sitting in a warehouse or on a shelf is wasting money.  

Retail is a beautifully orchestrated dance between profit & loss. 

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

I think it's like when your kid has to sell something out of a catalog of cr@ppy gifts.  You get to "choose" between wrapping paper, a tin of nuts, overpriced candy,  or candles.  That's what the hosts get to pick for their shows, when they are given a choice.  

At least the wrapping paper was better quality and nicer designs than you'd find in the store.  Of course, it cost several times as much.

Honored Contributor

Of course not!!

Irish Blessing
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far.
Honored Contributor

I do not believe they do but some of them sure sound like they do and pick their producer, models ect.......  They just sound ridiculous when they try to make us think they have any influence.  I always felt they get there way before their "shows" and spend time studying the product line up.

I would imagine when a new item comes out they may ask to present if first but that is asking not telling.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unless a host has helped design a product, I doubt that they have much input into what gets picked to sell on air.

So did Shawn decide that the Paula's Choice skin care line would be one of her finds to appear on her show The Find With Shawn Killinger on Tuesday night at 10pm ET? This will be Paula Begoun's first time selling on QVC so I'll watch as I've been a long time Paula's Choice customer.

Super Contributor

I'm pretty sure they don't have much control over host picks. It's just a selling point. 

i just don't think because a host supposedly loves a product can just add it to a show without all the business that goes into booking vendors and price points etc etc

Super Contributor

Totally agree. A friend of mine works at a high high end store in Florida and a certain host who swears by a skin care item on air actually buys a 500.00 cream at the store my friend works. I won't mention names but it's a woman from another channel

Esteemed Contributor

I find it hard to believe that hosts get to pick what they want to sell, I doubt they have that much power and some hosts don't exactly sound very credible either taking about fashion and beauty products.