Honored Contributor

Re: Do hosts hand select the products for "their" shows?

I think it's like when your kid has to sell something out of a catalog of cr@ppy gifts.  You get to "choose" between wrapping paper, a tin of nuts, overpriced candy,  or candles.  That's what the hosts get to pick for their shows, when they are given a choice.  

Respected Contributor

I really don't believe anything the hosts say anymore (some more than others). They are paid to sell whatever is selected. I'm sure they review what will be in the show with whoever makes that decision, but do they have input? I doubt it.
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

I think it's like when your kid has to sell something out of a catalog of cr@ppy gifts.  You get to "choose" between wrapping paper, a tin of nuts, overpriced candy,  or candles.  That's what the hosts get to pick for their shows, when they are given a choice.  

And, add to that list-- magazine subscriptions

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Frequent Contributor

I have to agree with you,Cosmic.......I believe very little from most of the hosts anymore, but there are a few that I feel speak with more integrity, like Mary Beth........Shawn, however, not so much.......she will say anything

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They might have some input, and for some shows more than others, but given the very limited product selection now regularly presented by QVC, and the fact that the same array of items seems to show up all the time, over and over, I sincerely doubt they have much input into what gets included.

I think this whole mantra of them supposedly choosing, selecting and begging to have things inclulded in their shows is just another sales ploy, designed to make us think they're somehow really looking out for us and that they really like the products they're presenting at any given time...  As for asking vendors to 'drop by', I don't believe it for a minute.  Vendors have to be scheduled, and their appearances planned...

While I disagree, I get it that QVC thought they needed another 'it' girl, but sorry, to me, she is not 'it'.  I used to like her.  Now, not so much, and she's featured too often.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@JaneneP wrote:

I have to agree with you,Cosmic.......I believe very little from most of the hosts anymore, but there are a few that I feel speak with more integrity, like Mary Beth........Shawn, however, not so much.......she will say anything

My list of hosts who speak with integrity, in addition to Mary Beth, are:  Carolyn, Leah, Dan Hughes, Lisa Mason (hope she returns), and Sandra, among others.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Wait a few months, when they start to do Host's Gift Picks (for Christmas), and the items are the same old thing on every show.  No host is choosing to highlight the same flashlights and electronic games over and over and over and over . .  .

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

For their everyday shows that they are scheduled to do, no I don't believe so.  But for the more specialty shows like You're Home with Jill, I do believe she has some say in what is presented in her shows.

I also believe that she does work with the buyers and planners on her home shows and I know she works with some vendors on things because she has posted on FB, including photos, of her working with VPH to put things together.  She has also shown pictures and videos of helping get the sets together for her shows.   

Lisa R. used to be at the studio all day when she was doing her decorating shows so she could get the set ready with much assistance of course. 

For all those gift shows that will be coming up and the host beauty shows, I don't believe they have much input in those at all.   

Respected Contributor

My guess would be that the hosts, for the most part, have very little say in what they present.  Jill B. might be an exception and have a small say with her home show.  It is probably just a way of personalizing the product to make it more appealing to their fan base.  After all, the bottom line is to sell.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:
Jill on her home shows is a great one for saying she asked the vendor to "make this" or add something. She makes it sound like she's the buyer, planner, programmer, producer, everything but the cameraman. I take it all with a grain of salt.

There's actual evidence of this for Jill. She once rolled a Luminara candle in glue and glitter and posted it to her Facebook page. People loved it so much, they asked if Luminara would make one. And they did - they sold out at Christmas.

Several of the hosts have jewelry they've work for years get questioned so much that QVC sells reproductions. Shawn and Kerstin both have jewelry items, as does Jane, I think.

Leah used to have a nail polish color she wore so often that QVC sold it. 
(They no longer sell it.)

I think that she hosts definitely have influence over what they have on their shows and what QVC carries. And that's smart, because the more sincerely someone can speak about an item and share genuine passion for an item, the more of those items they are going to sell. QVC would be stupid NOT to allow hosts to influence the products on their shows.