Trusted Contributor

Re: Do Hosts Impact Sales?

[ Edited ]

I will only watch certain hosts, and turn off when hosts i do not like are on. But even when i watch,  i only buy if i really like the item. I usually find more info, and items online then on tv. I never watch Mon night fashion , because i do not like the host....I wish they would alternate hosts for that show.

Trusted Contributor

There was a QVC host in the 90s named Gwen Owens who sued them for race and QVC fought against it that it was her poor sales performance that led to her firing. Sales are definitely tracked. Its why Lisa was the diva of the Q because she sold billions. From the chat with Antonella I got that Lisa was never afraid to stand up in the corporate heads about what she wanted. Lisa could be seen as a diva but she demanded excellence. She also preferred products she loved and was wildly passionate about.
Esteemed Contributor

Gwen Owens was soooo upset that Rick Domeier received larger salary increases than she got even though they started at the same time.  It's all available in her lawsuit in the public records. 

Trusted Contributor

I remember Gwen Owens she was god awful. QVC used her sales were a reason she was let go. Sales are tracked bigtime and don't u think. QVC cares about money.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilMadi wrote:

SPURT-I do remember hearing that Christine Zell was let go.  The reason I mentioned her is because she was complained about for a very long time before that happened.  I know there are others too but I couldn't think of them off the cuff.  

I had no idea about the Antonella survey.  I don't feel that was right.  It could have been sent to people who didn't like her.  And that would mean it's based on popularity doesn't it?  

I sure hope you're right that hosts are rated on their performance and not popularity.  I do think it might affect a host's performance if they are not well liked by the customers, as well as on the contrary. 

Just because you may not be well liked does not mean you don't perform well any more than the fact that you are liked doesn't mean that you do.  Therefore, I think what you suggested is a fantastic idea.  That would make it a more level playing field for all of the hosts.  

Thank you so much SPURT.  I always appreciate your comments/opinion(s).

Stay safe~

@LilMadi 

Thank you for your kind words.....

Someone posted a copy of the Survey they got on Antonella....and for the people that complain about host comments here on the Forum from viewers ....they shouldve read some of that QVC Survey .....  The whole thing was a bit odd and why just her....

Your right, several things can come into play---products shown, favorable time slots etc etc....and sometimes it does seem like viewer popularity ....David V has a large following for example....

But sometimes JMHO I think it's the popularity of the host from the QVC's Execs point of view, their preferences and their opinions ---and what they like which seems to be based on the demographic QVC is trying to attract.....These are the hosts we see on all the time, yet it doesnt always seem to agree with the viewer's opinions.. and its interesting that sales are down in the categories for the shows some of the same hosts present 🤔............hmmmmmm????? 

Take care and stay safe!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JONNYSBRO wrote:

There was a QVC host in the 90s named Gwen Owens who sued them for race and QVC fought against it that it was her poor sales performance that led to her firing. Sales are definitely tracked. Its why Lisa was the diva of the Q because she sold billions. From the chat with Antonella I got that Lisa was never afraid to stand up in the corporate heads about what she wanted. Lisa could be seen as a diva but she demanded excellence. She also preferred products she loved and was wildly passionate about.

@JONNYSBRO @Johnnyeager 

What was interesting is how the case turned out.  In additions to Owens, there were also 3 other plaintiffs----Daliza Ramirez-Crane and Victor
Velez, Clarence Reynolds--- all claimed they were all relegated to the "graveyard shift," generally appearing in the wee hours of the morning, when viewership is limited. A Pennsylvania jury awarded Gwen Owens of QVC $67,000 in back pay after she successfully demonstrated she was earning far less than her male counterparts. QVC violated the Equal Pay Act based on gender, but QVC was found NOTguilty of race discrimmination.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

It's like any job I would think.  If you don't perform you are let go.  If you are a pain you are let go.  If you are someone people don't like to work with or the boss doesn't like you are let go. 

Esteemed Contributor

@StopTalking wrote:

Curious, QVC is a metric based company. They sell a lot of product and have the data based on which host is on air for that product. Do you think they break it down with   each QVC host? Does Carolyn sell more than Shawn and so on. obviously David is king....

Wouldn't it also depend on the item being sold?  It can't possibly be host alone @StopTalking .

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@StopTalking @I remember reading something about hosts, either on HSN or on QVC, impacting sales. From whatever it was that I read, they do affect sales. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tototwo wrote:

Speaking just for myself, yes.  I don't watch QVC often, or even once a day.  I will only watch when certain hosts are presenting.  There are many hosts I will not watch, no matter what they're selling.  For me, hosts do impact sales because I won't even watch QVC if certain hosts are on. 

-----------------

Exactly!!  And if I am not watching, I am probably not buying!!  There are a few hosts that I will watch; many that I don't ever watch!!