Esteemed Contributor

Speaking just for myself, yes.  I don't watch QVC often, or even once a day.  I will only watch when certain hosts are presenting.  There are many hosts I will not watch, no matter what they're selling.  For me, hosts do impact sales because I won't even watch QVC if certain hosts are on. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

kaydee50-I agree.  But although a host will not make me purchase an item, a host will make me NOT purchase a product.

"I never changed, I just learned."
Honored Contributor

Of course they rank hosts' sales.  There are people who would buy dry ice if it were David's brand.

Valued Contributor

Puppy Lips-I LOVE your handle/name!

Valued Contributor

Re: Do Hosts Impact Sales?

[ Edited ]

I don't remember Rachelle but there are other hosts (Like Christine Zell and ? Szish) who were complained about so much on these posts and it didn't seem to make any difference.  Others that were very popular like Antonella Nester were let go.  I don't understand how it works.  However, I don't feel it's fair to base the host on their sales.  It has more to do with the customers, time slots, products ets than the hosts.  Imho.

Valued Contributor

GoneButNotForgotten-

Agree, I think a lot of people do that.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

There's an old thread under Q Talk explaining it all. The info came directly from the libertyinteractive.com website (the parent company of Qurate) they have all the Qurate quarterly financial reports broken down by press conferences given by Mike George and Gregg Maffei , press releases, presentations, investor relations etc etc..It was discussed there. A host only gets credit when the item is presented on air and then they track how it was purchased by phone, online, or APP......So if you purchase something after it was presented, then the sale of that item goes under the off-air purchase category and the host doesn't get credit.  Too time consuming to go through all the info to find it again, but that's what was presented. 

They even breakdown sales by customer status---if you are a current customer or a new customer, or even a customer that stopped buying and recently reactivated your account.  They can do all this with technology.  Just like the show Producers can tell how many are left of a particular color or size....

You can also google the lawsuit ... cant post links since that page has advertising for other companies and/or political articles prohibited by forum guidelines.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: Do Hosts Impact Sales?

[ Edited ]

@LilMadi wrote:

I don't remember Tachelle but there are other hosts (Like Christine Zell and ? Szish) who were complained about so much on these posts and it didn't seem to make any difference.  Others that were very popular like Antonella Nester were let go.  I don't understand how it works.  However, I don't feel it's fair to base the host on their sales.  It has more to do with the customers, time slots, products ets than the hosts.  Imho.

@LilMadi 

Kristine Zell was let go and its not the host popularity its based on performance....And what was odd was that QVC sent out a survey to random customers asking questions specifically regarding Antonella (she confirmed on her Facebook Page that the survey was legit and sent out by QVC)....But what is not available to the public is the host's standing with the QVC Exces....and their performance....

And what your saying is what many of us customers have asked....if a host is given a favorable time slot, it might not be the host's sales ability just luck on show time and popularity of a product, but that host may actually be polarizing and not necessarily popular at all with the  customers even though they might do well in sales---people like the products in the show. Some of us have been suggesting a rotation of hosts on certain shows to give other hosts a chance at prime time slots and merchandise...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Of course they track sales

Valued Contributor

SPURT-I do remember hearing that Christine Zell was let go.  The reason I mentioned her is because she was complained about for a very long time before that happened.  I know there are others too but I couldn't think of them off the cuff.  

I had no idea about the Antonella survey.  I don't feel that was right.  It could have been sent to people who didn't like her.  And that would mean it's based on popularity doesn't it?  

I sure hope you're right that hosts are rated on their performance and not popularity.  I do think it might affect a host's performance if they are not well liked by the customers, as well as on the contrary. 

Just because you may not be well liked does not mean you don't perform well any more than the fact that you are liked doesn't mean that you do.  Therefore, I think what you suggested is a fantastic idea.  That would make it a more level playing field for all of the hosts.  

Thank you so much SPURT.  I always appreciate your comments/opinion(s).

Stay safe~