Respected Contributor

The host doesn't matter to me one bit. I also don't need a 'VENDOR" to 'explain' the item for me for 5 minutes- a purse- gee, it has inside and outside pockets! Really, 5 minutes??

I am the same on line  or in a store. I know what I like and don't like very quickly- a host has NEVER swayed my opinion.

Respected Contributor

I think they do. There are some presentations I won't watch because I dislike the host/ess.

Esteemed Contributor

I am sure they can monitor by the minute what is said and exactly how the sales are going. Obviously prime time would bring more sales and perhaps certain hosts who get those spots tend to do better. 

I for one rarely watch.  When I tune in most of the hosts are totally unfamiliar to me.  My purpose for watching is to find a product that I need or want.  Most hosts simply turn me off and I tune out. I go to reviews and often to other resources to compare what I see. 

I am not a fan of endless talk or chatter and I am not intested in person life. I don't care anymore than I would care going into a store and asking sales people their life stories.  

Valued Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I am sure they can monitor by the minute what is said and exactly how the sales are going. Obviously prime time would bring more sales and perhaps certain hosts who get those spots tend to do better. 

I for one rarely watch.  When I tune in most of the hosts are totally unfamiliar to me.  My purpose for watching is to find a product that I need or want.  Most hosts simply turn me off and I tune out. I go to reviews and often to other resources to compare what I see. 

I am not a fan of endless talk or chatter and I am not intested in person life. I don't care anymore than I would care going into a store and asking sales people their life stories.  

@bonnielu 

Prime time has the biggest quote to achieve, much higher than any time of the day. No this is not easy time to work and be successful 

Respected Contributor

I don't watch QVC much at all because of the hosts.  Hosts don't influence my buying decisions any more.  I used to listen to presentations because I got information about the products.  I now read item descriptions on the web.  I miss hearing presentations (detailed and with measurements) as that influenced my buying.  I really don't care for the current presentation styles.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

I think they do. There are some presentations I won't watch because I dislike the host/ess.

They are hosts, not hostesses; they don't serve or entertain you at a dinner.

Esteemed Contributor

@JONNYSBRO wrote:

When LR was at the QVC she was called the unstoppable sell out queen. Shows would finish early at times when Lisa hosted because all product was sold out. She had so many freaking sellouts and was rewarded huge shows at the Q. A true sales phenom she was

Yeah, right, LR and Julia!

Honored Contributor

@RainyDayGal wrote:

It's actually interesting to think of all the different stats they track.  But a simple answer would be yes.  But that is simplistic.

There is one host I can't watch.  Everything about her bothers me, from her mannersisms to her voice (especially the voice).  If the items she is presenting are of interest I'll watch the show muted and only turn up the volume if I need more information or want to listen to the vendor.  I won't wait for an item to be presented by someone else if I want to purchase, I just purchase it when I see it.

@RainyDayGal 

That's the time to click on your Closed Captions feature.   

I'm not hearing impaired, but I have the CC on most of the time, especially during shows featuring historical or scientific programs,  or those where the actors have accents.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@StopTalking wrote:

Curious, QVC is a metric based company. They sell a lot of product and have the data based on which host is on air for that product. Do you think they break it down with   each QVC host? Does Carolyn sell more than Shawn and so on. obviously David is king....

@StopTalking 

From what I read, sales do impact each Host's salaries, bonuses, and contract renewals, but this information is not available to the public..............

There was even a lawsuit long ago where a host won a lawsuit against QVC because she said she always was given unfavorable time slots, therefore, her sales were impacted....(the judge said it did appear that the men always received the favored time slots---BTW there were more male hosts  employed at that time.....)

And see thats the dilemma---is it the preferred time slots that help bring in the sales or is it the host's popularity and/or selling skills?!?!?!?  For me, if a show has a host I find annoying I turn the channel and and therefore I dont buy anything either....

@Spurt 

Well, I'm pretty sure more sales are made at 8pm than at 4am, but you never know.   

Often times I will record a show, watch it later and perhaps order something the next day.  Does any host get "credit" for my purchase, or does it count only if people buy while they are on the air?   I doubt they can accurately categorize my shopping and purchase if it happens hours or days later.

Regular Contributor

Such great replies. Interesting! When David starts munching on some Mac and Cheese or eating slices of Rastelli's Filet Mignon - Hard to believe that sales don't spike in those few minutes.