Honored Contributor

Re: Disappointing Q

[ Edited ]

I saw something strange I hadn't seen before.  Maybe others have.

During CIJ Martha Stewart's 35 inch snowflake wreath was $84 with $22 shipping.  This morning it went up to $102 as expected, but shipping was reduced to $15.

Unless the wreath lost weight overnight, I don't get the $7 reduction in shipping.  

Shipping for her 30 inch wreath was only $7.95.  That's about $14 difference for 5 inches.  UPS charges not only for weight, but size, too, but QVC has a deal with UPS and USPS, so I question the increase of $14 for 5 inches, then $7 reduction the next day.  

It appears to me the increase of $14 was to make up some of the money lost for the reduced CIJ price of $84.  A sneaky way of pricing.  I have seen similar pricing on ebay by some sellers.  They set the price low...jack up the shipping.  It looks like QVC did the same.  So, the CIJ price wasn't as low as it appeared because QVC was making money from the shipping.  

I purchased the 30 inch, I measure it at only 27 inches, instead of the 35 inch because I thought $22 shipping for a lightweight wreath was too high and if I didn't like it, would it be $22 to return?  QVC only charged $19.95 to ship a large 90 lb portable AC.  

I know QVC changes its shipping prices at times, but I haven't seen this before.  

Respected Contributor

@Juniper2 wrote:

Really disappointed in QVC.  Advertised all July the set of four Luminara 5" Candles with the remotes and gift boxes at a "special" Christmas in July sale price and then on August 1st place them on clearance.   So I paid more because I fell for the hype that all sale prices ended July 31.   Live and learn and what I've learned is to shop elsewhere.

About 2 years ago my Mom purchased a bunch of stuff during CIJ (blankets, food, candles, decor, etc.) for herself and gifts.  As the months rolled on by and the Christmas shows came back on, she found the same items at a LOWER cost.  She said she'd never buy during CIJ again.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@Juniper2 wrote:

Really disappointed in QVC.  Advertised all July the set of four Luminara 5" Candles with the remotes and gift boxes at a "special" Christmas in July sale price and then on August 1st place them on clearance.   So I paid more because I fell for the hype that all sale prices ended July 31.   Live and learn and what I've learned is to shop elsewhere.

About 2 years ago my Mom purchased a bunch of stuff during CIJ (blankets, food, candles, decor, etc.) for herself and gifts.  As the months rolled on by and the Christmas shows came back on, she found the same items at a LOWER cost.  She said she'd never buy during CIJ again.

@ScrapHappy  - She may not be able to get the color or quantity that she wanted if she would have waited.  Just like other products on the market, if you wait for a sale before purchashing, the product may be gone by the time the sale happens.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee - I agree that it seems strange that the shipping fee would change for the same item, regardless of any sales or length of time it has been available. I wonder if the original charge was in error; hopefully if that is the case, those who had to pay it will be able to call customer service for a refund of the difference.

However, I am not as surprised about the higher shipping costs for items that are only a few inches larger. There was a recent increase in USPS fees related to dimensional package pricing, which means that anything over a pound and/or over a cubic foot in area now costs a lot more to ship. Since the Q bases a part of its revenue on shipping fees (and still only passes along part of those fees to customers to pay), it makes sense that some things are definitely going to have higher shipping fees in the future. This change in fees has even made me wary about renewing the listings of some of my larger ebay items, as I'll now lose a lot more when I offer free shipping.

Contributor

@Susan-QVC

I was wondering about the price changes as well.... I purchased A350635 on July 18th thinking the price wouldn't go lower, but now it's $10 less....can I get a credit for this?

Respected Contributor

If a price goes lower within 30 days, ask for an adjustment.

On the whole, though,I don't let price changes bug me because they happen everywhere. Kohl's, Hobby Lobby, Amazon, Walgreens, CVS, any retailer, I think...prices change, often on a day to day or week to week basis. My goal is to get what I need when I need it at what I consider a reasonable price. If I tried to hold out for the lowest price ever, I would make myself nuts and would be without things I need.

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@Foxxee - I agree that it seems strange that the shipping fee would change for the same item, regardless of any sales or length of time it has been available. I wonder if the original charge was in error; hopefully if that is the case, those who had to pay it will be able to call customer service for a refund of the difference.

However, I am not as surprised about the higher shipping costs for items that are only a few inches larger. There was a recent increase in USPS fees related to dimensional package pricing, which means that anything over a pound and/or over a cubic foot in area now costs a lot more to ship. Since the Q bases a part of its revenue on shipping fees (and still only passes along part of those fees to customers to pay), it makes sense that some things are definitely going to have higher shipping fees in the future. This change in fees has even made me wary about renewing the listings of some of my larger ebay items, as I'll now lose a lot more when I offer free shipping.

@loriqvc 

Decided to check USPS to see how much it would cost me to return the 30 inch wreath to QVC at my cost.  The box is 30.5 x 30.5 x 4.75 inches.   $30.  QVC sent it to me for $7.95.

For the 35 inch wreath in a box that is 35.5 x 35.5 x 4.75, a whopping $80!  So, the $22 was discounted quite a bit, but still lowering to $15 the next day is puzzling.  As you say, may be an error.

Didn't check UPS pricing.  Probably higher.  Wanted to send a box that was 25 x 25 x 6, seven pounds, three years ago. UPS said it would cost  $54. Didn't send it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee Busineses Don’t pay the same rates that individuals pay to mail packages.  They have contracts with the delivery services, also, I would guess they don’t pay insurance.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe (and @Foxxee) - Having worked for a couple of very large companies, I can tell you that the discount rates are not as great as one might expect, especially if you're sending things via the USPS. We had fairly impressive discounts for two-day or overnight UPS shipping within certain parameters, but the USPS just couldn't cut much off its standard rates (except for non-package shipments like postcards or bulk mail). First-Class Mail in particular was almost the same rate for the company as for an individual; saving a few cents here and there helped, of course, but the overall annual savings wasn't that amazing.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Foxxee Busineses Don’t pay the same rates that individuals pay to mail packages.  They have contracts with the delivery services, also, I would guess they don’t pay insurance.

@NYCLatinaMe 

Yes, I've known that for a long time.