Respected Contributor

Re: Ding dong - please make it stop!!

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

Agree with @Pook .  Oftetimes, people will say a phrase or word excessively without realizing it's excessive.  However, the happy dance has worn out it's welcome - imo.

The first time he did it. So childish!!!

Honored Contributor

I'm sure I have speech patterns that I use too much. One lady I know says "seriously?" in social media posts and on the phone. It's her way of questioning everything .

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I've never heard the Ding Dong phrase at all.

Although the Happy Dance doesn't bother me in the least, I do believe it limits David's cross-over appeal.  When QVC started sending him as a guest on other TV shows, his Happy Dance persona is usually uncomfortably corny.  It's really only a QVC mainstay that his most loyal TV shopping fans seem to demand.  I like David very much, so a few seconds of that silly dance does not bother me at all.

An article written not too long ago stated sales go through the roof when David does his Happy Dance.  It's like a drinking game, but with sales.  As long as QVC benefits from it, I don't see it going anywhere.  

What article was that? I refuse to watch him, because of this kind of stupidity.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HLP wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I've never heard the Ding Dong phrase at all.

Although the Happy Dance doesn't bother me in the least, I do believe it limits David's cross-over appeal.  When QVC started sending him as a guest on other TV shows, his Happy Dance persona is usually uncomfortably corny.  It's really only a QVC mainstay that his most loyal TV shopping fans seem to demand.  I like David very much, so a few seconds of that silly dance does not bother me at all.

An article written not too long ago stated sales go through the roof when David does his Happy Dance.  It's like a drinking game, but with sales.  As long as QVC benefits from it, I don't see it going anywhere.  

What article was that? I refuse to watch him, because of this kind of stupidity.

@HLP  NY Times article, in 2015. Also, check out Good Housekeeping magazine of 2018, where they talk about his fans loving his Happy Dance.  There could be Happy Dance mentions in other publications, but that's at least two of them. 

Frequent Contributor

I generally like David but he does tend to wear certain behaviors out. I first noticed him using the "Ding dong" phrase about 3 weeks ago when he was telling viewers how convenient it is during these days when we have to shelter at home to be able to have QVC merch delivered to your door. The first time he said this it was "Ding dong! The Kansas City steaks are here!" Since then, I've heard " Ding dong! The Russell Stover chocolates/Corky's ribs/Cheryl's cookies" etc. The phrase made a great point the first couple of times, but it's lost its punch now. Watch David over the next few weeks, I bet you'll hear "Ding dong!" A few dozen timrs.
Respected Contributor

When it comes to David what annoys me most are his constant updates of colors, how many left in each, and most annoying "sold in  this show alone".  Why would anyone but him care about how many sold in his show?  I always imagine the producer giving him this info in his ear for David to know how he is doing!

Respected Contributor

@Catch71 wrote:

When it comes to David what annoys me most are his constant updates of colors, how many left in each, and most annoying "sold in  this show alone".  Why would anyone but him care about how many sold in his show?  I always imagine the producer giving him this info in his ear for David to know how he is doing!

Actually I don't view it that way. I think he says "sold in this show alone" as just part of the sales push, to emphasize there have been so many sold already and you'd better get to ordering if you want to get in on it.  Kinda like when hosts say "they are flying out of here" and will sell out soon. All to get you to run to the phone. 

Honored Contributor

It sure would be more palatable if they did the scroll across the bottom of the screen where possible.  

Trusted Contributor

I have never heard the ding dong phrase, so maybe that's a good sign that I am watching QVC less. I actually only watch the cooking shows. 

I think the reason he tells people how many were sold in his show alone is to help explain to those of us who dislike the extended TSV presentations, especially when non-kitchen related, that many people only watch him and that is when they buy it, so those presentations are not going anywhere (except when we click off).

Esteemed Contributor

@glamwitch wrote:
I generally like David but he does tend to wear certain behaviors out. I first noticed him using the "Ding dong" phrase about 3 weeks ago when he was telling viewers how convenient it is during these days when we have to shelter at home to be able to have QVC merch delivered to your door. The first time he said this it was "Ding dong! The Kansas City steaks are here!" Since then, I've heard " Ding dong! The Russell Stover chocolates/Corky's ribs/Cheryl's cookies" etc. The phrase made a great point the first couple of times, but it's lost its punch now. Watch David over the next few weeks, I bet you'll hear "Ding dong!" A few dozen timrs.

@glamwitch  Then I would have to say to David that when I get a delivery there's rarely a ding dong with it.  If I'm lucky, I hear a thud at my front door!