Honored Contributor

Re: Did anyone receive this email from QVC/Synchrony?

I don't have a land line my cellphone tells me spam risk so I do not answer it.  My poor MIL she is 88 and kept getting so many spam calls especially the ones supposably from 
Amazon which she doesn't even have an account with.  She finally changed her phone# and so far so good.  No calls.

Valued Contributor

@embgm wrote:

Yesterday I received 8 phone calls back to back from Amazon telling me a charge of §700 will be debited to my account and if this isn't an actual purchase made

by me to call a number immediately. I ignored all of them. However I did finally turn off the phone for a while . Then I was looking at my emails and there were lots of messages on the neighborhood thread about these calls. It seems dozens of people in our township received these call. The first three digits of the numbers on the caller ID all matched the first three numbers of our area numbers. Must be a way to stop all this!

Same here. I don't answer if there is no name. 

Honored Contributor

The do not call list works great for me, but this is on a landline.  The only calls I get are from politicians asking for money, I think they are exempt.

Super Contributor

( The first three digits of the numbers on the caller ID all matched the first three numbers of our area numbers. )

I read awhile back that scammers are using this method of using your first 3 digits...Just more scammers using all the methods they can find.  I got rid of my voicemail after getting so many calls...I just let the phone ring if I dont recognize #

Honored Contributor

I receive those emails when I pay ahead of time. They just tell me my payment already covered the minimum payment so the automatic payment isn't going to be taken from my bank account.  I don't click on the link. I go to the website and look for the letter.

Honored Contributor

@embgm wrote:

Yesterday I received 8 phone calls back to back from Amazon telling me a charge of §700 will be debited to my account and if this isn't an actual purchase made

by me to call a number immediately. I ignored all of them. However I did finally turn off the phone for a while . Then I was looking at my emails and there were lots of messages on the neighborhood thread about these calls. It seems dozens of people in our township received these call. The first three digits of the numbers on the caller ID all matched the first three numbers of our area numbers. Must be a way to stop all this!

I have an iphone. The last system upgrade included a spam notice....my phone says "scam likely" when I receive these kind calls and I don't answer. After, I go in and block the number.

Honored Contributor

@bowlicious wrote:

So far today I've had two calls from "amazon" about a phone I didn't order and one from Discover card (which I don't have).Makes me not want to answer the phone.

@bowlicious We don't answer the phone unless we recognize the caller.  Ever.  If it is something you need or someone, they can start leaving a message and we pick up.

We normally don't answer the door either unless we recognize the person, or we are expecting a service or repair person.