Honored Contributor

Re: Did I entirely miss a tragic event in Jayne Brown's life?

@ms traditional wrote:

the mannequin tree was all the rage a few years ago,and appeared in  Obama White House.

http://blog.mannequinmadness.com/2014/12/dress-forms-as-christmas-trees-at-the-white-house/

@ms traditional  I'm pretty sure that's a fake/spam site.  I "toured" the Obama White House on line and on television at Christmas several times and never saw mannequin trees.  I can't imagine that they would have something like that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

I read where they did have them in the Vermeil Room in 2014:

Vermeil Room

Two dress form mannequins sit in the Vermeil Room in place of traditional Christmas trees. These dress form trees feature one-of-a-kind skirts with evergreen adornments and frosted embellishments. Designer Alexis Bittar created the hand-sculpted Lucite ornaments and jewelry for the dress forms. Bittar designed flower ornaments in muted pinks, purple and ivory with crystal centers and hand-blown birds. The hand-sculpted necklaces on the bust form are composed of Lucite ivory pinecones and interwoven with vintage broaches. Covering the mantel piece, fresh cedar garland is accented by ribbon and strung with crystal-swirled candy canes colored in pastel ombre to match the skirts. 

This is from the White House archives describing the theme for each room that year.

Respected Contributor

Her taste in decorations isn't mine, but I'm sure they please her and her family and that' all that matters.

Honored Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

But why is "James no longer w/us"?

That's not exactly how it reads.

Valued Contributor

@faeriemoon

This is a perfect example of things that drive us grammar sticklers to distraction. This is a "squinting modifier" -- the reader doesn't know if the referent is husband James or the dog, Buzz.  All she would have needed to say to make her meaning clear is to say "since our dog is no longer with us."

There. Clear?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@3catmomma wrote:

I read where they did have them in the Vermeil Room in 2014:

Vermeil Room

Two dress form mannequins sit in the Vermeil Room in place of traditional Christmas trees. These dress form trees feature one-of-a-kind skirts with evergreen adornments and frosted embellishments. Designer Alexis Bittar created the hand-sculpted Lucite ornaments and jewelry for the dress forms. Bittar designed flower ornaments in muted pinks, purple and ivory with crystal centers and hand-blown birds. The hand-sculpted necklaces on the bust form are composed of Lucite ivory pinecones and interwoven with vintage broaches. Covering the mantel piece, fresh cedar garland is accented by ribbon and strung with crystal-swirled candy canes colored in pastel ombre to match the skirts. 

This is from the White House archives describing the theme for each room that year.

thank you @3catmomma  

@fyi  @ @suzyQ3       @NickNack

not sure what was the problem for you with other site.  i believe this is the mannequin In Vermeil Room 2014image.png

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nicknack wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

the mannequin tree was all the rage a few years ago,and appeared in  Obama White House.

http://blog.mannequinmadness.com/2014/12/dress-forms-as-christmas-trees-at-the-white-house/

@ms traditional  I'm pretty sure that's a fake/spam site.  I "toured" the Obama White House on line and on television at Christmas several times and never saw mannequin trees.  I can't imagine that they would have something like that.

@Nicknack wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

Fake tech support website, according to my Norton Security that blocked it. I just tried again and received the same alert. I don't know what exactly that means, but it does sound malicious.

@NickNack, @ms traditional

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@ms traditional @suzyQ3   I stand corrected.  I just Googled "tree in White House Vermeil room in 2014" and read the clip about it.  It actually was a pretty tree, not what I had pictured in my head.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack    i posted a pic of it right above your last post.it is kind of an elegant and sweet "tree"

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional  Yes, it's very tasteful.

-Henry David Thoreau