Respected Contributor

Re: Designers loving their own items.

If the designer were not passionate about their product, why would I consider purchasing it?

Honored Contributor

It seems to me there is so much time spent on each piece.  If you didn't use a few adjectives, what would you do to fill all that time?  You couldn't just stand there like a bump on a log.  I guess you could dance a little jig or shake your bootie but people complain about that, too.  Your darned if you do and darned if you don't.  I'd bet you some money..... if they stood there all calm, cool, and collected..... someone would write in to say....."I think so and so wasn't feeling well this morning.....seems a little "down in the mouth".  Oh, brother!

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

OK, I get it.  The whole reason for retailers to exist is to sell things.  Having said that, I have a real problem listening to designers loving their items.  I guess I was raised with the rule that you don't brag about yourself and the designers are definitely bragging.  When it's a company rep doing the selling, I don't mind them praising the products.  It's very off putting to me when the designers go on and on about the greatness of their designs. 

Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way?  

Thanks! 

@this is my nic

I agree.  SG actually said her liquid knit was the "best fabrication of all on QVC" the other night.  She could use a little humility/reality check.   

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Or there's .Isaac, who sometimes seems to have never seen his designs before.

@QVCkitty1

I always watch Isaac and love his clothes (with the exception of the overly large and way too bright flower prints).  I do also suspect he does not design everything he sells.

I can tell when he's showing something he actually designed.  He is much more into describing it than he is with the run of the mill designs. 

And let me take this opportunity to suggest to him that not every top has to have a peplum skirt.  I am bored with them already and I only have one.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@this is my nic.  It's called the "Susan Graver Syndrome".  We've gotten numb to it over the years.  Now we know if it's on TV, on QVC and Susan says it, it must be true.

You mean that her items are not the best ever made? 🖖🏻

Honored Contributor

They whole reason they do what they do is because they want to make money; a lot of money.  What should they say  "don't buy this, there's nothing special about it and the colors are too bright"  LOL   "I wouldn't wear this if my life depended on it but you should buy two of them"  LOL    I think OP doesn't understand the difference between bragging and bing assertive and proud of your work....and salesmanship.  

Honored Contributor

I haven't seen anything that I would consider bragging ...

Trusted Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I don't know what else they would say.  

Me either. Why wouldn't they like their own designs?

Frequent Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

Well, I guess I'd be surprised, if they designed something, then said it was rubbish.  I always thought I could only ever sell a product to others if I loved and believed in it myself.  So why would I expect anything less from those who sell on QVC (or anywhere else)?

Of course they wouldn't say it's all rubish. But I never hear Bob Mackie gushing over his own clothes. He does explain the item, how to wear it, what to pair it with, etc. He has no need to do the SG cheerleading. Much more enjoyable.

Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Or there's .Isaac, who sometimes seems to have never seen his designs before.

I was thinking the same thing!  These “designers” pick stuff from a catalog and slap their name on it.  I doubt Lisa Rinna sits down with a sketch pad and “designs” anything.