Respected Contributor

Designers loving their own items.

OK, I get it.  The whole reason for retailers to exist is to sell things.  Having said that, I have a real problem listening to designers loving their items.  I guess I was raised with the rule that you don't brag about yourself and the designers are definitely bragging.  When it's a company rep doing the selling, I don't mind them praising the products.  It's very off putting to me when the designers go on and on about the greatness of their designs. 

Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way?  

Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Designers loving their own items.

I don't know what else they would say.  

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic.  It's called the "Susan Graver Syndrome".  We've gotten numb to it over the years.  Now we know if it's on TV, on QVC and Susan says it, it must be true.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

What would you want them to say?  They have to love their work and what they create.  It goes with the territory.

Respected Contributor

Talk about the item not praising how wonderful it is.  Tell us about the item, leave out the love.  Tell me how this item will make my life more enjoyable.  Don't tell me how much you love everthing and how fabulous verything is. I get sick of the love, love, love every single aspect of every darned thing. 

If an item gets customer top rating let me know.  

Honored Contributor

Well, I guess I'd be surprised, if they designed something, then said it was rubbish.  I always thought I could only ever sell a product to others if I loved and believed in it myself.  So why would I expect anything less from those who sell on QVC (or anywhere else)?

Honored Contributor

Or there's .Isaac, who sometimes seems to have never seen his designs before.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

If I tune in which I do rarely I want information on the item.  I can see color, but I want to know about sizing, options to wear it, fabric , etc.  In other words I cannot jump on the set and try it on or feel it.  So I want details.  The designers sometimes get carried away in silly talk, over promotion and that takes away for what I need to know. I guess they are trying to create excitement, so I don't blame them.  I just cannot listen to it over and over and over.  

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure which designer you might be alluding to, but I liken their love of their items to any creative person and their work.  If they truly designed it themselves, they should feel pride in the object.

As for the specifics of the items they are discussing, I thought that is why a host is working with them, i.e. to give the specifics about size, fabric, measurements, care, etc.

If one is overwhelming the other in the presentation, the Q should be responsible for working out a balance for the customer.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

No it doesn't bother me at all.  It's business and I would expect them to praise their work to get ahead or sell which is much different than conversing with someone in a social situation.