Respected Contributor

Re: Dear QVC: A petite inseam is 28 inches!!!!!!

I am always glad when I find a 29" inseam.  I am 5'2", but my height is in my legs and I don't seem to have a waist.

I do know that some people need a 26" inseam or anything between 26 and 29.  So, I don't see a standard.

Esteemed Contributor

I just cringe when I hear a host say to "just roll the bottom up" or "roll the waist up." No, that doesn't work. A petite is shorter in the rise, different length from hip to knee and knee to ankle. The host knows this very well but doesn't mind giving false advice.

I've even heard them tell a Tall they can wiggle them down on the waist. At least a tall, I believe, is just different with the length.

You make petites feel like second class customers when you make those suggestions. We also want the best fit possible. Other retailers care enough to offer them to us. Why settle for less....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

The industry standard for a petite inseam is 28 inches. Why, I wonder, has QVC been selling petite slacks with a 29 inch inseam???? Please offer petite slacks in the 28 inch nseam if you are advertising petite slacks.

Surely I am not the only lady that is hampered by an inseam longer than 28 inches. 

dee

@deedledeedeedle .. my perfect  petite inseam is 28 - 29 inches.  The  27 inch petite inseams are too short for me.   I am about 5'  1 1/2".

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@febe1:

The petite inseam industry standard is still 28 inches. I am 5' 4" and wear the 28 inch inseam. I am not going to spend $60 (Linea, Isaac) for slacks and then pay an alteration fee to have them hemmed. I'll buy from Nordstrom or Lord & Taylor first.

dee

@febe1 wrote:

29" seems to be the preferred and chosen length for petites.

I've heard Pat D. and Susan G. both suggest buying a pair of Regular and a pair of Petite's. They both do. Pat is 5'6" and Susan is 5'4". They do that so they can wear flats with their petites.

Now, if 5'6" Pat can wear a petite in her flats, where does that leave a true petite of maybe 5'2". Yes, it leaves her going to the tailor for her petites.

Super Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I've been shopping for jeans and was just before I saw this thread watching an Isaac w/Amy presentation of petite straight leg jeans. Amy said the petites are 29 inches. No wonder they were all baggy around the petite model's ankles. In fact Isaac had her turn them up and got all goo goo about how cute they looked that way. WHAT! She shouldn't have to! And just yesterday I received a pair I ordered from Lee in what was supposed to be a 28 inch inseam.......they're 29. I already washed them hoping they'd shrink up a bit but no such luck. So hard to get petite in the right length.

Standard lengths seem to have changed over the last few years with the assumption that all women wear high heels with their jeans all the time. A 29" was the average length for as long as I can recall; that is now 31 (I've even seen 33).  I hate jeans shopping!

Esteemed Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

@febe1:

The petite inseam industry standard is still 28 inches. I am 5' 4" and wear the 28 inch inseam. I am not going to spend $60 (Linea, Isaac) for slacks and then pay an alteration fee to have them hemmed. I'll buy from Nordstrom or Lord & Taylor first.

dee

@febe1 wrote:

29" seems to be the preferred and chosen length for petites.

I've heard Pat D. and Susan G. both suggest buying a pair of Regular and a pair of Petite's. They both do. Pat is 5'6" and Susan is 5'4". They do that so they can wear flats with their petites.

Now, if 5'6" Pat can wear a petite in her flats, where does that leave a true petite of maybe 5'2". Yes, it leaves her going to the tailor for her petites.

I'm not interested in buying from retailers who only want to serve tall people.
Honored Contributor

Have them hemmed.  If they make pants too short, few people can wear them.  They make them a little longer so you can have them hemmed.  You can't custom fit the entire world. 

Honored Contributor

Actually I need a 27" inseam.

Super Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

The industry standard for a petite inseam is 28 inches. Why, I wonder, has QVC been selling petite slacks with a 29 inch inseam???? Please offer petite slacks in the 28 inch nseam if you are advertising petite slacks.

Surely I am not the only lady that is hampered by an inseam longer than 28 inches. 

dee

@deedledeedeedle

I think it's rather selfish that you want only your 28" inseam available so you don't have to pay extra for hemming.  What do you think all the petite ladies who need shorter inseams have to do?  Perhaps the petite standard should be my 27" inseam so that I don't have to pay for hemming?

I didn't even realize there was an "industry standard" for inseam lengths.  I've seen all sorts of lengths in all three categories (petites, regular, tall).  Personally,  I think it's great that manufacturers do this so that more people can find the proper length pants off-the-rack...or...so that we can all be equally frustrated -- depending on how you look at it!  

Just be thankful you can easily find pants that are at least long enough for you.  My sister-in-law is tired of wearing her pants as capri/crop/ankle-length or having to tuck them into boots because it is almost impossible to find 36" inseam jeans that are affordable.

Esteemed Contributor

I just wore my Dunners that I bought on sale. Can't remember where on line but I had to roll them up when I walked to the store. I checked the size and it said 12P. I wonder if the stores on line buy without checking the length. I bought a short unknown in a jean but a little too short for dress. But Dunners always fit me before the computer came about.