Respected Contributor

I watched a little of David Venable's Health Journey yesterday and found it really interesting. I hope he'll keep up this, it's nice to get some ideas for good health and losing weight. He looks good and I know, as one who has fought weight issues all my life, he'll come up with some healthful hints for me. I'd like to see the Q five us a show on healthy recipes. I hope he'll have a long and healthy life ahead.

Respected Contributor

@Carolina925 I watched it last night too. I thought it was nicely done. I've heard a lot of what he said already on his weekly coffee talks, which I only started watching a few mos. ago...sometimes while I'm on my exercise bike, entertaining myself, and getting some good food swap ideas from him.

Anyway, what was new in the QVCplus video that I enjoyed were those 3 recipes he did...all three looked good and doable. Yes, I hope they do more of these.

I also wish David well and that this continues to work for him.

Respected Contributor

Good for David. Sounds like he's not just talking the talk but walking the walk, which makes all the difference in the world. If he can be an example to viewers of how to eat healthfully overall while being surrounded by the sweets and treats he sells, he might just be a life-saving inspiration to others.

Honored Contributor

I think the video is great and a smart move -- for David of course, but also for QVC.  It's a wonderful story that shows very beneficial results that most can relate to or may want to emulate. 

QVC knows that everything David touches means more saless -- he has the most "loyal" fans on QVC.  

That being said, it's been a very looooong year of hearing about it.  Hopefully the video will stay up and anyone who still asks David after all this time, "how did you lose the weight?" can refer back to it.  

I also hope it means he can refrain from talking about his carbs in every single one of his shows.  

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

That being said, it's been a very looooong year of hearing about it.  Hopefully the video will stay up and anyone who still asks David after all this time, "how did you lose the weight?" can refer back to it.  

I also hope it means he can refrain from talking about his carbs in every single one of his shows.  

I agree @Caaareful Shopper . Many adore David and I'm glad he's healthy but I've stopped tuning into his coffee breaks because he spends 3/4 of the time talking about weight loss. It has gotten very repetitive. Odd because he always said his health was only between him and his doctor but now he has become almost preachy about it. 

Trusted Contributor

I agree. He has explained what he did and what worked for him.  We do not have to hear about it every time he is on.  It gets really old after awhile.  He is not the only person to ever lose weight.   

Trusted Contributor

@Carolina925  I give David so much credit for working with his doctor on improving his health & losing weight.  On his facebook chats there have been alot of questions from his foodies about what specifically he did, his diet, exercise, etc. so I think this is in answer to that.  

I do think that his selling higher priced probably not very healthy food items on his shows with the vendor expecting him to really push these but then he's not tasting/eating the items presented anymore is this going to affect his sales/their sales #'s.

Respected Contributor

@colleena wrote:

@Carolina925  I give David so much credit for working with his doctor on improving his health & losing weight.  On his facebook chats there have been alot of questions from his foodies about what specifically he did, his diet, exercise, etc. so I think this is in answer to that.  

I do think that his selling higher priced probably not very healthy food items on his shows with the vendor expecting him to really push these but then he's not tasting/eating the items presented anymore is this going to affect his sales/their sales #'s.

I do think this is a dilemma they must be scrambling to figure out. How to balance his new ways of eating, vs. having to sell the foods he is really no longer eating. He's a top seller, a host that a huge following of people trust as someone to sell to them. His food show and brand is huge for QVC. So now what?

It's clear the language he uses now, the small bites he takes, (what I think are) necessary mentions of his own food journey. Maybe whoever is buying the cake for an occasion, is in a different place, or just buys the cake for an occasion not a steady diet of it. I don't know...they sell an awful lot of candy, chocolate covered apples & pretzels, tons of fattening carb products...and he's not ascribing to any of it in his real life. It's, to me...interesting...but...if David really can "sell ice to the eskimos" maybe all continues as it always has.

I think he has to mention it during presentations, so that he can offset the "I thought you can't eat that?"...so he repeats things like "if I have a little it's not going to kill me" (and quickly moves on as others on set do the real tasting.)  Or with things like ribs he makes note that it goes with his food plan..."plenty of protein, low carb." Controlling the narrative.

On his coffee talks...he's as gracious as can be when, occasionally people eyeroll with "not this again"...by saying, politely upbeat, "people are asking me so I'm certainly going to answer." People can move along if it bugs them.

It's for QVC & David to figure out...it'll be interesting to see how they conitnue to manage it. One thing, they sure made sure they pushed & sold out the last of his old cookbooks with his old way of cooking/eating, before Christmas, at a much reduced price.

Esteemed Contributor

David did one of the FitNation bicycle shows. He talked about how he would eat all those mac & cheese shows and how awful he felt after eating it.

He said that he was happier now feeling healthy than he ever did with overeating for a few minutes. 

He is going to have a difficult journey with all his involvement with food. That's like giving up smoking, while your partner still smokes incessantly. Both addictions are difficult alone w/o dealing with complications. 

Maybe his success will encourage our super curvy models to begin a journey. They like David so much.

Valued Contributor

Was this part of a recent show?   Is there a place I should look to find the video?

Thanks!