Respected Contributor

Re: David and his new cookbook

[ Edited ]

@mom2four0418  Actually, my husband hear that info while watching QVC last week when they were "hawking" some type of Apple computer.  It was mentioned during that showing.

ETA -- wasn't it mentioned ITKWD last week or the week before that over 100K copies were sold.  That's a lot of cookbooks and something for DV to be very proud of.

Valued Contributor

Might be a great cookbook but it's not on any NY Times bestseller list that I can find.  Our library has it on order so I've put it on reserve.  I'd like to see what his recipes are like

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don't watch him much anymore---kitchen shows are more of the same boring stuff---I don't buy cook books anymore either so that is no big deal either-----

Honored Contributor

It's a shopping channel board.  It is here so people will talk about their likes and dislikes and QVC can monitor that.  At the core, it is nothing but a huge survey.

Sometimes it is ugly and the responses, like some here, are driven more by personality and who people like and dislike than anything else.  That is valuable information for the company.

I'm not sure why, but so many people have to choose a side rather than talking what they like and dislike.  But it is great information for marketing I'll say!  Instead of checking a box, it's all here online! 

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I think most of you should quit watching the show so you dont have any trivial thing to complain about.

I think for some it's a hobby - watching QVC and then running to post a complaint about every little thing!

And some run to the Forums to defend QVC and complain about customers airing their opinion about QVC/QVC Products- And QVC probably values feedback about its channels and products regardless of what these "Q Defenders" think....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

It's a shopping channel board.  It is here so people will talk about their likes and dislikes and QVC can monitor that.  At the core, it is nothing but a huge survey.

Sometimes it is ugly and the responses, like some here, are driven more by personality and who people like and dislike than anything else.  That is valuable information for the company.

I'm not sure why, but so many people have to choose a side rather than talking what they like and dislike.  But it is great information for marketing I'll say!  Instead of checking a box, it's all here online! 

@Sooner

Your right Sooner and some companies pay a mighty tidy sum  to an independent research team to gather feedback, and analyze the data...All QVC has to do is read the Forums....Now does that mean QVC is going to satisfy and make changes to meet everyone's satisfaction---NO!!!  But we have seen SOME changes being implemented both to shows and products.....Especially show changes coming in January......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I think David's new book sold over 100,000 copies.  I no longer buy cookbooks and I doubt the recipes would fit  into my dietary restrictions.  I'm sure many will enjoy his book.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is very, very long...  I know....  so my apologies if you're not in the mood to read a novella.😉   

Regarding the way QVC can or can't use opinions posted on the forums, aside from a few anecdotal instances, most QVC changes can't accurately be attributed to something we posted on the forums.   I think (from observation) that most, if not all, changes from suggestions, ideas, and critiques, result from surveys, social media sites (like the marketing software tools built into Facebook and others), which are linked to actual people with names, addresses, and phone numbers.   

QVC can't really use information on the Community without a huge grain of salt, since contributors are anonymous and this dreadfully archaic website software makes it easy for people with all manner of "agendas" to create multiple accounts and support or discredit hosts, vendors, products, etc., coming here with ulterior motives (the internet is filled with people compensated to populate forums and try to sway opinions, and also the occasional trolls).   

Posts here are no different from anonymous reviews, and it's far too easy for those to be manipulated by the reviewers for their personal or commercial motives.   

It's also impossible to evaluate and tally the information here, randomly spread across thousands of threads and thousands of individual posts.   A marketing firm simply can't use this kind of unwieldy and unreliable free-form anonymous information in a cost-effective and meaningful way, which is one reason companies are closing out their forums and comment sections that permit anonymous postings.

As other posters often have pointed out, the vast majority of QVC customers don't use the Community and don't even know it exists.    

I do think the forums are here to generate interest in their products and events -- even though they permit a lot of negativity and also substantial promotion of other businesses.   Also, they very likely benefit from getting the occasional hit on internet searches and the forums offer a few people customer support.   

I'm not a "Q defender" (in all fairness, I think using that term as well as "Q bashers," "haters," or "board police" subtly and, I hope, unintentionally demeans those who happen to have a different view, and I wince when I see any of those terms in use).   I'm extremely unhappy with QVC's lack of quality merchandise, lack of competitive pricing, bizarre shipping processes, poor customer service, and dreadfully and probably dangerously archaic website.   

I find all the changes at QVC to be an odd business model and I'm among those who used to buy from them weekly (even several times a week) and now only do so perhaps once or twice a year.   

They've basically lost me as a customer.   The way the powers-that-be are "managing" QVC reminds me of the Broadway play "The Producers"...  deliberately setting up a commercial enterprise to fail.   I expect to see Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick peeking out from behind the curtain... 😁

It's important for everyone to feel free to post their views in a civil manner -- whether they support QVC or not -- and everyone should continue to do so.  We learn nothing if everyone has the same views.  

It's my personal belief that the Community is here as a tenuous vestigial remnant of the "old days" of social media chat boards which slowly are being replaced with other platforms.   

I think if we continue to make the discussions volatile, disruptive, and harshly, stridently negative the powers-that-be will decide it's too expensive to support and moderate them, and that it's also bad publicity, and they'll permanently and completely close down the Community the same way other major companies have done.  

I understand not everyone agrees with me -- just wanted to add my thoughts since the topic was introduced.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo  Somehow I do believe the margin for error is at least as great in Facebook than this bulletin board!  LOL!!!  Sure Woman Wink  Facebook is truthful!  

I think like any company they take what they get from opinion, weigh it against financials, look at projections and trends and make a stab at it.  That's about all any company or person can do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo

I respectfully disagree.....I find the comments on Q's Facebook or Q Style Facebook Page completely ignored,unless you are on a Vendor's Facebook Page. These days I think they are using Facebook to showcase products and upcoming shows!!!!

I have actually seen Mods respond that they passed some of our Forum suggestions on.  And some comments made about products on the Forum have been addressed, and vendors commented  suggestions came from QVC customers..... And hosts changes on certain shows.....coincidence....maybe not OR maybe so.....

I just completely 2 surveys, 2 different companies, I recently did business with and it was my option to include personal specific demographic info about me the submitter, they were more concerned about my opinion on the product and customer service aspect....and even received a follow up on a couple of my responses..............

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and you always present it in a thoughtful and informative way........Take care