Respected Contributor

Re: David Venable sounded awful

THE SHOW MUST GO ON  !!!!

Honored Contributor

I just can't can't worry about a host soldiering through a day at work.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

When I worked at a department store 20 years ago they would send associates home (without pay) to rest. Surely David is well off enough to take a day without pay.
Honored Contributor

I would think they get some sick days each year.  I was happy with free shipping today, but haven't ordered anything.  ITKWD was quite boring with the items shown.  (Nothing to do with David being under the weather, just that the items were all boring (to me) and I didn't use the free shipping opportunity.)

Honored Contributor

I can sympathize with David.  I made a phone call today to call in sick to my Sunday afternoon volunteer job.  My boss could barely hear my raspy voice! 

I would think its it’s a no-brainer  for someone who needs to be heard clearly, to take a sick day when your voice is affected 

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:
When I worked at a department store 20 years ago they would send associates home (without pay) to rest. Surely David is well off enough to take a day without pay.

@Reever.  He has a contract. He doesn't have 'days without pay'.

Honored Contributor

But why should the viewers and prospective buyers be subjected to that....its difficult to listen to and I bet many people turned the channel....I know I did...toodifficult to listen to

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I think we have all worked with people who don't take the day off if they are sick......

They take cough medicine and think they will make it through the day...

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure why this thread is continuing three days later, but as the OP noted, David had laryngitis and wasn't actually ill, so I think it was likely his call to continue presenting. Hopefully he's all healed up now...

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Reever

LOL!! The hosts are under contract. There is no day off without pay.  They do have to call someone else in to take over the hosts shift, and with the three channels they may be stetched thin. He probbaly just did not want to bother. I saw him on Sunday and he sounded much better.