Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva 

I am surprised you could sell your house with a 47 year old furnace.  In my area, buyers want everything up to date which is a major expense for the seller.

Respected Contributor

Our house was built in 1995.  We'll be living here 5 years come June.  About 2 1/2 years ago our AC went (we have a total of 3 AC units).  So, when we replaced one, we replaced the other (for third and second floors).  Had to replace furnace at that time because the new AC units were not compatible with the new ones.  We still have one more furnace and AC unit to replace at some point.

Honored Contributor

@Catch71 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva 

I am surprised you could sell your house with a 47 year old furnace.  In my area, buyers want everything up to date which is a major expense for the seller.

@Catch71 , this wasn't a house that sold for a lot of money.  We basically dumped both our rental  houses off to get rid of them because we were sick of dealing with that mess.  And the person who bought the house was also using it as a rental and even kept the same tenants.  

Respected Contributor

@Catch71 , this wasn't a house that sold for a lot of money.  We basically dumped both our rental  houses off to get rid of them because we were sick of dealing with that mess.  And the person who bought the house was also using it as a rental and even kept the same tenants.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know what you mean. When we die, I've instructed our executor to dump it for whatever they can get for it. It's fundamentally ok but it's had a lot of wear and tear and it shows, cosmetically.

I think it would a good "starter" house for someone who can put time, money, and energy into restoring it. And I wouldn't even care about the price; after all, we'll be dead and donate any profit to our relatives.