Honored Contributor

Re: Dan Hughes degree in college

@Kachina624 wrote:

On the rare occasion that I watch a few minutes of Dan, he drives me nuts.  Every guest is his good, old friend from years ago.  I find him to be very insincere and don't trust anything he says.

As for the archeology,  you've got to major in something.  There are millions of people who majored in something and never used it.

@Kachina624, I find his constant faux male self-deprecation to be like nails on a chalkboard. I don't watch often, but every single time I happen to catch him hosting, he performs that schtick.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

I enjoy Dan Hughes and enjoy watching him.  I have been doing so for over 20 years.  Very entertaining and informative.  Enough said.

Esteemed Contributor

I also enjoy Dan's presentations!   He is so down to earth and seems to be such a nice man.  Yes, his jokes are almost funny, but he does know his products. 

He has been on QVC for along time and I am sure that he is good friends with most of the vendors!!!    I much prefer him to some of the female vendors!!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@zitawins

ITA: the major forces you to immerse yourself deeply into a subject area.  The discipline and application / interpretation help develop your strengths which can then be used in every area you choose to become involved.

I majored in French literature and went on to a Master's degree while working in corporate management for a major communication / technology corporation.  They underwrote the majority of the advanced degree.  

Never did I use the foreign language per se; however, the ability to write clearly and the ability to make presentations in my native language were enhanced by my major.

I also taught leadership and communication skills at the college level.

Today, I wonder what I would major in given all the diverse areas of possible expertise !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

On the rare occasion that I watch a few minutes of Dan, he drives me nuts.  Every guest is his good, old friend from years ago.  I find him to be very insincere and don't trust anything he says.

As for the archeology,  you've got to major in something.  There are millions of people who majored in something and never used it.

@Kachina624, I find his constant faux male self-deprecation to be like nails on a chalkboard. I don't watch often, but every single time I happen to catch him hosting, he performs that schtick.

@suzyQ3 he makes it seem like all men are idiots and cannot do anything without women. This is certainly not the case with the men in my life. They can and do function well on their own.

Honored Contributor

Dan seems very down to earth.  Actually, he is a farmer and cares for many farm animals.   I recall the time he and his wife took a newly orphaned goat or lamb on their road trip with them.  They didn't want to leave it behind.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@DJs mom wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@suzyQ3 he makes it seem like all men are idiots and cannot do anything without women. This is certainly not the case with the men in my life. They can and do function well on their own.

@DJs mom, it's bogus. If he really thought that men were idiots and women were the better sex, he would never do this little act.

I see it as his trying to appeal to women. That's the reason I call it faux deprecation. I may find it funny one time, but he overdoes the stupid caveman stereotype to such a degree that I get the impression he thinks just the opposite.

In other words, he's damning women with faint praise.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

In watching QVC for decades, I have always enjoyed Dan Hughes' presentations. Some of you are way too picky.

Honored Contributor

I believe he used to be a stand-up comic/comedian.  What he sometimes says is meant to be a bit of humor.  It's the nature of the comedic profession, imo. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@corita wrote:

I also enjoy Dan's presentations!   He is so down to earth and seems to be such a nice man.  Yes, his jokes are almost funny, but he does know his products. 

He has been on QVC for along time and I am sure that he is good friends with most of the vendors!!!    I much prefer him to some of the female vendors!!

----

Edited to add ---

I much prefer him to some of the female vendors and female hosts!!!