Respected Contributor

Re: Dan Hughes Starts Stand-Up Comedy AGAIN

There's a YouTube of Dan at the West Chester Story Slam, January 2018.

Personally I didn't like it, but standup requires reworking and reworking your material. Making sure your style works for different venues and audiences. Humor needs shared experiences. Perhaps his YouTube topic didn't allow for that enough.

I wish him success.

Esteemed Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Good luck Dan! Doing what you love is great

Just a note to say that Dan and Carolyn both hail from my state of Indiana...not too far form where I was born. Jill Baur's grand-parents liveed here and I believe Nancy Hornback is from here, too. I hope they are all doing well. They all entertained QVC people for years.  While I don't watch much anymore (I prefer to look up one video) I remember those days and they entertained us well. DH liked Dan's "race driving" shows.

@jubilant 

I had to respond to the last sentence of your post.  I loved Dan's Nascar shows and never missed one.  Have quite a few I bought from him. I was a bigA;ways  fan and Dan had Dale Jt my favorite driver. Dan interacted well with all the vendors whether celebrity or not.  

Trusted Contributor

I predict @Reever hopping on a bus and buying a front row ticket. 

Honored Contributor

Is David V gonna be there ? ROFL

Trusted Contributor

Never found him funny or interesting ... very boring and a channel changer.... I do wish him good luck!

Contributor

I wish Dan great success on his new venture.  I was so happy to see that he and Carolyn and others from QVC stay in touch.  Dan said it was a time to heal. One does not have to heal from voluntarily leaving a job or knowing that their QVC career was ending. I believe many of us were right when we said Dan and Carolyn had no idea what was coming.  That is a shame and that is why I take my business elsewhere.  Once called the QVC lady, I did almost all my shopping with the Q but not now. .  I am so busy and found it convenient.  QVC has changed so much and not for the better.  They got rid of two of their best!

Regular Contributor

The best part of Dan's post is him referring to QVC only as "where I used to work!"  I think Dan will do well - I found him to be very likeable and amusing.  Given the difference in venues - on air at QVC and clubs or wherever he will be doing his routine - I wouldln't expect his stand up to be so "corny" or "lame."  Best of luck to Dan!

Valued Contributor

I suspect that if Jay Leno (who is iconic and still does many stand-up gigs a year) had Dan open for him awhile back, that speaks more to the appeal of his humor than people here criticizing him for being “lame” and unfunny.