Trusted Contributor

Re: DON’T SAY HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY

If EVERYBODY could stop being offended by EVERYTHING, that'd be great.  

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Since this topic comes up every year, I asked DH how he felt about it.  He is a DAV from the Viet Nam war. He saw much death.  

His words: "I wouldn't want it to be a sad Memorial Day".  Those that died gave us a gift....freedom.  That gift should be celebrated even though there is mourning.

Wow.

Powerful words.

Thanks @jubilant for posting.

💛💛💛💛💛x1000

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The "Happy Memorial Day" debate does come up every year, and I don't see anything wrong with the discussion.    People also point out that this day is for remembrance of those who died, and not the same as Veterans Day or Armed Forces Day, and they chide and scold those who use the day to thank living veterans and also active-duty military.    So there are 2 issues at play.

In my opinion, no one is being "word police," or "thought police," or the like -- people come from varied perspectives and they are passionate about issues.    Memorial Day certainly merits and evokes emotion, and there's nothing wrong with any of the opinions on this debate, with the exception of any who might want to squash the discussion altogether.    I do not agree with every person's opinion on this topic, but I respect their decision to present it.
            Everyone is responding from their heart, from their soul, and from their history.    I've argued both sides in the past and learned a vast amount from reading and listening to all views.   Most of my life has been spent working with veterans and there are many in my family...  some active-duty, too.   They don't all agree on this topic, and that's good information to tell us there is no "right answer."
            Making it into a 3-day weekend is likely what caused Memorial Day to shift from a somber day of remembrance and honor to a "holiday weekend" of barbecues and merchandise bargains.    I think, at least in part, that's why younger people first think of that rather than the origin of the special day.   I won't fault them and I'll simply hope they learn over time about the true meaning of the day.    In addition,  every day is a good day to offer appreciate for those who died, those who are living veterans, and those who are actively serving -- and all their families, too.   
            I usually wish people a mindful, safe, peaceful Memorial Day.   In the same vein as @LilacTree's comment...  to have a meaningful day.  
            At this point, I feel the same way I do about the "Happy Holidays" debate.    When a human being takes time and makes the effort to offer good wishes to me, my reaction is to be thankful and grateful for the positive and pleasant nature of the greeting and for a personable, sometimes delightful, connection between two human beings.   I smile and thank them.

My  profound condolences to all of you who have lost loved ones, and my genuine thankfulness to and recognition of all who have served or who now are serving...  and their families, too.   May everyone here have a peaceful, mindful, safe, and meaningful Memorial Day.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

It's ok and it is appropriate to say Happy Memorial day because the truth is that there are 2 Memorial Days now.  There's the one where we honor fallen soldiers and veterans, that's the traditional holiday.  Memorial Day has also become the official beginning of summer that we celebrate with picnics and bbq's and trips to the beach.  It's the beginning of summer vacation season.  

Honored Contributor

THANK YOU, @JDo!  

Admittedly, I haven't read through all the responses so forgive me if I restate something someone else already said.  USA we citizens should know the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day.  One is to remember those who paid the ultimate price to secure and defend our liberty and freedom while the other is to honor those who did the same but came back home.  We pause in reverence to remember those who died on Memorial Day and we gratefully thank those who returned on Veteran's Day.  The two should remain separate and not get mixed up.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo

You are so right.  There is room for more than one opinion here.  In the case of any death sometimes we mourn and sometimes we remember and are happy.  Just recognizing others feelings and trying to understand them is showing good will to our fellow man.  Our Veteran's died for freedom of choice.  It's important we give each other some "wiggle room".

I'm glad to see you back, dooBdoo.  I missed you!

Honored Contributor

In my opinion they fought and died so we could be happy and have freedom.  I dont think saying happy Memorial Day means we are celebrating their death, but be happy we they fought for our freedom and we can still say have a good holiday and be happy.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom

You're welcome!  DH happened to walk into the room when I was getting ready to post and I asked him how he felt.  Many of the people he fought side by side with were either killed or wounded in front of him so he does feel deeply about this. In fact, if you were to go by our home right now, you would see about 10 flags in our big flower pots outside.  He is the first to have them out in honor of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.  Many of those that lived have suffered greatly mentally and physically and since he happens to be one of those, I think, even though he knows the real reason for Memorial Day.....he tends to think of all veterans on that day.  Others may not and he is ok with that.

Esteemed Contributor

EVERYONE SAYS IT---HERE IS AN EXAMPLE  33676532_1920270231357154_7689378871715561472_n.jpg

Honored Contributor

For me, it's not only a holiday in honor of the military but also a reminder that war was, is, and always will be h*ll, regardless of its necessity at times.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland