Honored Contributor

Re: DON’T SAY HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY

Many of us also visit the graves of our loved ones who have passed. I just hate it when these days are used to make a sale or advertise hot dogs. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I don't think the Vets really care one way or the other if people are happy on Memorial Day. My husband is a Vietnam Vet and all he wants is great picnic food when he observes the day. That being said, those of us who have not and would not even think about serving our country should know better and voice and observe the holiday as was intentioned. Just smile and nod if you don't know what to say to a Vet.

Frequent Contributor

Memorial Day started in the years after the Civil War. People wanted a way to remember their loved ones that had perished in that bloody war. It's estimated that about 650.000 people perished. It's also thought of as a time to remember our lost loved ones. In years past, the family would visit the cemetery, clear off any brush or limbs that had fallen, then decorate all the family graves. It was a way to remember the memories of the precious family members that had passed. 

Trusted Contributor

Yep, here we go again.  A "new contributor" with 2 posts decides to stir the pot.  

Many people have happy memories of the ones they lost during wars, and they don't sit around weeping on Memorial Day.  They celebrate the good that those people brought into the world and the happy memories of them.  I think their strength, courage, and sacrifice for our country is beautiful and worth celebrating.  Focusing on their death does them no justice and seems selfish and wallowing.  Happy Memorial Day!

Honored Contributor

The people who fought and made sacrifices of lives, liberty and limb made those sacrifices FOR something.  For the coming generations to live happily and in peace, and I think they would be first to tell us all to have a happy Memorial Day!  That's the way to celebrate and remember them! 

Just as we say Merry Christmas, when we celebrate and give thanks  

Valued Contributor

I wish the word police would take a break. A lot of folks will be happy because the weather is nice, or they have a three day weekend, or they like red, white, and blue. It is possible to have a pleasant holiday and remember the men and women who gave their lives for our country at the same time.

Honored Contributor

This thread is a yearly tradition on these forums.

Honored Contributor

@Jasmine19 wrote:

I wish the word police would take a break. A lot of folks will be happy because the weather is nice, or they have a three day weekend, or they like red, white, and blue. It is possible to have a pleasant holiday and remember the men and women who gave their lives for our country at the same time.

picgifs-thank-you-5603949.gif

Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Many of us also visit the graves of our loved ones who have passed. I just hate it when these days are used to make a sale or advertise hot dogs. 

Memorial Day has been commercialized, and it's been made to be the "official start of Summer."  That's probably how many people don't realize that it is the day when our nation honors those who have fallen.  

Honored Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Memorial Day has been commercialized, and it's been made to be the "official start of Summer."  That's probably how many people don't realize that it is the day when our nation honors those who have fallen.  

That is a cop out or maybe people are just stupid and uncaring. The least people can do is know what the holiday is about. That Merry Christmas explantion is a cop out too. Not all people are Christians, but if you were born and educated  in this country you should know what the deal is.