Honored Contributor

Re: DON’T SAY HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY

@jubilant wrote:

@dooBdoo

You are so right.  There is room for more than one opinion here.  In the case of any death sometimes we mourn and sometimes we remember and are happy.  Just recognizing others feelings and trying to understand them is showing good will to our fellow man.  Our Veteran's died for freedom of choice.  It's important we give each other some "wiggle room".

I'm glad to see you back, dooBdoo.  I missed you!

Amen, my friend.   

And thank you for the kind words, @jubilant.  I missed you, too!❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Amy Stran did it right in her little Memorial Day tribute. You have to give credit where it is due when it comes to the hosts.Sometimes they do get it right.

Honored Contributor

When people say Happy Memorial DAy they don't mean anything bad by it.  For that reason, I would just let it rest.

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

The people who fought and made sacrifices of lives, liberty and limb made those sacrifices FOR something.  For the coming generations to live happily and in peace, and I think they would be first to tell us all to have a happy Memorial Day!  That's the way to celebrate and remember them! 

Just as we say Merry Christmas, when we celebrate and give thanks  

??

What do Christmas and Memorial Day have in common  ??

Esteemed Contributor

I just want to echo what @this is my nic said.  When I was a kid, it was called Decoration Day, it was always May 30, and it was a very solemn day.  Everything was closed.    

Then the government changed it to the last Monday in May so that we could have a 3-day weekend - everything was allowed to stay open and the Memorial Day "sales" started. Some Americans lost sight of what the date really means.

Time passes. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Regular Contributor

Madeleine Albright says "Happy Memorial Day". Remember her JDo?

Trusted Contributor

@indoor kitty wrote:

Many of us also visit the graves of our loved ones who have passed. I just hate it when these days are used to make a sale or advertise hot dogs. 

Memorial Day has been commercialized, and it's been made to be the "official start of Summer."  That's probably how many people don't realize that it is the day when our nation honors those who have fallen.  

@walkingal Unfortunately, all holidays are commercialized.  It's all about the almightly dollar.

As for saying Happy Memorial Day, I've never once heard a vet complain about saying it that way.