Trusted Contributor

Re: DId the host just say this?

@Kachina624 wrote:

Have you ever notice that Gabrielle starts most of her sentences by saying " Mary, she  has a little lamb"?

I can remember my dad reprimanding me for using that sentence structure when I was very young. 

Thank you, thank you for saying that!  I thought I was the only one grinding my teeth when I hear this.  It is like nails on a chalkboard.  My grammar school nuns broke us of that habit.  But so many, especially in the public eye, make this same mistake.   Bring back sentence diagrams!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Have you ever notice that Gabrielle starts most of her sentences by saying " Mary, she  has a little lamb"?

I can remember my dad reprimanding me for using that sentence structure when I was very young. 

always . that makes me nuts

Honored Contributor

I understand.  When you go through school with teachers who are “sticklers” for using correct grammar, it is frustrating to hear words incorrectly used.

However, we need to take into account that this is live TV and, although there is a delay, it’s not for the purpose of correcting grammar.  Also they have to sell..sell..sell for 3 hours.

I know I couldn’t come up with that many reasons why I need to buy a vacuum cleaner, pillow or any of the other boring thing QVC sells.

I’ve mentioned here before that my Dad was someone who taught me different words (and their usage) every night.  He called the larger words 25 cent words.

I will say that (for now, anyway) we have a right to express our opinions.  Just as everyone has a right to disagree.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The usage "I seen" bothers me also but is it so commonly used in certain parts of our country that I doubt we'll ever hear the end of it.

What bothers me more is misspellings of words that sound the same, but have completely different meanings. To me it just means that people don't read anymore and don't know the correct spelling of words. It even happens on these boards. There are a couple in particular that I see all the time -  "peak" for "peek"  and "peak" or "peek" for "pique".

Valued Contributor

I didn’t think this would be about grammar. I thought it was going be about the person talking about wetting herself and passing gas in regards to her age. I couldn’t even believe it!

Grammar-wise I’m sadly used to it. I’m a corporate trainer and hear words that make me cringe. Conversate is one and the newest seems to be tooken. (Instead of taken) ackkkk!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@froggy wrote:

The usage "I seen" bothers me also but is it so commonly used in certain parts of our country that I doubt we'll ever hear the end of it.

What bothers me more is misspellings of words that sound the same, but have completely different meanings. To me it just means that people don't read anymore and don't know the correct spelling of words. It even happens on these boards. There are a couple in particular that I see all the time -  "peak" for "peek"  and "peak" or "peek" for "pique".

@froggy   And "walla" instead of VOILA, drives me up the wall.....

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@froggy wrote:

@froggy   And "walla" instead of VOILA, drives me up the walls.....

@Desertdi.  Yes. One poster does this quite a bit. 

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@froggy wrote:

@froggy   And "walla" instead of VOILA, drives me up the wall.....

@Desertdi  I was going to mention that one too. Lol! 

Super Contributor

What gets my goat is the people who don't know the difference between the words  lose and loose.

Examples of using loose(incorrect) instead of lose(correct):

loosing my patience

loosing friends

loosing momentum

snooze  and loose (my favorite)

These examples are all from this board.

Respected Contributor

Walkingal, I'm with you on the need for diagramming. Back in the day, we started learning the basics of diagramming in third grade. We kept at it through ninth grade. I LOVED IT.

In the last several years, I've taught several grammar/diagramming classes for our local OLLI (senior citizen) organization. It's gratifying--and fun!

As for "she seen""--CRINGE.