Respected Contributor

Re: DId the host just say this?

@froggy wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@froggy wrote:

The usage "I seen" bothers me also but is it so commonly used in certain parts of our country that I doubt we'll ever hear the end of it.

What bothers me more is misspellings of words that sound the same, but have completely different meanings. To me it just means that people don't read anymore and don't know the correct spelling of words. It even happens on these boards. There are a couple in particular that I see all the time -  "peak" for "peek"  and "peak" or "peek" for "pique".

@froggy   And "walla" instead of VOILA, drives me up the wall.....

@Desertdi  I was going to mention that one too. Lol! 

@Desertdi  and @froggy   you're reading my mind!  i was just thinking about posting something (before i saw this thread) about the use of "walla" !!   the worst part of it is that folks not only say it wrong, but they actually  type "walla" into their sentences!   i see and hear it so often that i wondered if there had been some kind of grammar edict issued making a formal change. 

Esteemed Contributor

Quite instead of quiet. So many more but I'm only on my first cup of coffee.

Honored Contributor

I often relate my experience of being an “old-school” trained speech therapist sharing a classroom with a wonderful, erudite, interesting woman who had advanced degrees in linguistics.

At about that time, national educational standards concerning teaching the English language had begun to lessen emphasis on teaching grammar, and I, a lover of the structure and form of English, was appalled.

”Get used to it” my much more eclectically trained associate remarked. “ ‘English’, especially the brand spoken in America, has always absorbed form, structure, and vocabulary from other languages, and will continue to do that.”

I got my comeuppance, and something to think about, however much I may still savor the sound of beautifully crafted English as I was taught it. Bear in mind, though, that I was taught, in a New Jersey public school, IN THIRD GRADE, that “thou” was a second person alternative to “you”. Ponder THAT for a moment, if thou choose to do so.

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 

Maybe I'm strange, but I want to know when I've made a grammatical error.

Those times I realize I've made an error in a past post, I am embarrassed.  I often know better, but somehow, it slipped by.

I'm not perfect, but I know enough to know "she seen" is wrong!

Honored Contributor

"Thank you".........as a reply (or response) to "Thank you"........is a little odd in my book, too.   What happened to "You're welcome"............?????

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Regular Contributor

One of my pet peeves is the misuse of the word "of" instead of "have." Just last night, one of the Q hosts posted on her Facebook page, "I might of ate..." Yeesh!

Honored Contributor

I dont care!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@forsythia1 wrote:

What gets my goat is the people who don't know the difference between the words  lose and loose.

Examples of using loose(incorrect) instead of lose(correct):

loosing my patience

loosing friends

loosing momentum

snooze  and loose (my favorite)

These examples are all from this board.

That and many other words (their, there for example) are used incorrectly on this board all the time.  One person in particular I notice because she is always posting about how important grammar is.  I know that isn't grammer, but it's related.  It strikes me as interesting that she misuses words yet posts about this all the time.  She does it so often that I'm sure it's not just a typo.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

Yes, I heard the same thing!  I Cringe everytime I hear someome say that.

Trusted Contributor

I didn't hear this, but I have heard others say things that want to make me cringe.  I know some think it's no big deal, but we should strive to be an educated society and that means people should learn how to speak correctly.  A host is going to make a mistake now and then, but I hope that someone in charge recognizes when that happens and brings it to the person's attention.  I'm betting GK and the other host aren't even aware of their mistakes.  However, QVC hosts aren't the only ones speaking poorly these days.  I've heard mistakes in commercials, on news programs, in tv shows, etc.  It's pitiful.