Respected Contributor

Re: Correct pronunciation not required?

Important....Cotton....Jewelry...

Multi-syllable words that MIGHT be affected by geogra;hy...

The one word that drives ME nut is.....

ASK.

The word is ONE syllable. I bet it's used by most people at LEAST once a week if not more often.

How does is come out as "AXX" ?!?!?!?

An AXE is a TOOL to chop wood with.

AX. AX AX....

I even hear professional  commentators on the news say this...

" He was AXXED how this could have happened..."

or:

"I axxed for his address....."

Did you AXXX her?!?!?? (Hope not....could be fatal!!!!)

The word is ASK.    A*s*k    

NOT Axx. You use an AXX to chop wood.

And yes I know AX the tool is spelled AXE.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo 

Thanks for the post, love the link.

Always good to 'see' you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ketra wrote:

@bagnes wrote:

Another mispronunciation is jew-la-ree. It is jew-ul-ree. The host that's on at this very moment is pronouncing the color cognac, coe-nee-ack. Good grief!

@bagnes Thank you!  I’m watching the Frye Leather show and hearing Kristine Zell pronounce cognac (coney yack) over and over is ruining the show for me. Are the producers asleep upstairs? I’m not a snob, but I appreciate hosts that know the English language. I don’t care what anyone says, I miss Lisa Robertson. She was one classy lady.  

@Ketra 

Yep thats KZ........doesn't take time to do her homework on products....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

I wonder which host holds the record for mispronouncing the word "the" in a presentation.

Honored Contributor

Re: Correct punctuation not required?

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Oh no, I just realized I say ‘melk’!

@proudlyfromNJ 

its okay.......i say "wooder" but i am not ashamed. Smiley LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

@hyacinth003 

I knew what you meant.  It was clear in your first sentence.  I, too, on occasion have done something similar.

I think some of the hosts are from different parts of the country, the reason why they pronounce certain words differently.  Most noticeable are those with Boston, NYC, and Southern accents.  Some areas it's very mild or just certain words.  

Generally, many New Englanders and New Yorkers often have accents, but nothing like Boston and NYC. South Philadelphia and Pittsburgh can be pretty strong in some areas of those cities.  I've heard Northern midwesterners speak like Canadians.  

Journalists are taught to speak Standard English.  Listen to newscasters to notice they don't have an accent; although, I suppose Southerners, Bostonians, and New Yorkers think Standard English sounds like an accent to them.  

For the MSM, TV, we mostly hear Standard English spoken even though some are from the South, Boston, and NYC or other parts of the country.   

Are there any English majors here who can give us more information about Standard English?  

I beg to differ. 

First, NYC is comprised of 5 boroughs.  Native Manhattanites, generally, do not have the NYC accent most outsiders think of when discussing our accents. You're thinking of Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and the Bronx (each of which, btw, has a distinct and different accent). Add much of Long Island to the list. 

Second, what exactly is Standard English? As the first capital of the U.S. and early colony (NY State along with much of New England, Mid-Atlantic and parts of the South which were first colonies), our accents are, actually, closer to Britain's than most other parts of the country.  Standard English. 

Finally, cah-un, etc. (OPs concern), seem to be generational, rather than regional. 

Esteemed Contributor

Having trouble with figuring out hwat the " Any Body " rep is saying   " Cot Un "  what is that word  ?  I  have to switch the channel  . I've tried but am not familiar  with her accent  .

Trusted Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Ketra wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

I too have never heard mayonnaise pronounced any other way than manaise. And I think you can see that most of the us does pronounce it

with 2 syllables-"mannais"

Mayonnaise sounds so weird to me!

The blue on this map shows who in the us pronounces it mannaise; the orange mayonnaise.

We are a nation divided over mayonnaise.

@on the bay  No offense, but I’m from the south and I pronounce it mayonnaise. 

I'm from the Northeast (Long Island and NYC), and it's always been mayonnaise to me.

From NYC, here. Always pronounced it mannais.

As I've never thought about it, I really don't know how my childhood friends pronounce(d) it. 

Super Contributor

Grew up in MN, live in Texas. It's mayonnaise. Also, I can't stand it when I hear "lenth", "strenth", etc., instead of length and strength! Susan Graver does this, as well as saying "wash machine" instead of washing machine. Drives me nuts!

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”
Honored Contributor

Some of y’all watch too much QVC and it shows.