Contributor

Re: Correct pronunciation not required?

Another mispronunciation is jew-la-ree. It is jew-ul-ree. The host that's on at this very moment is pronouncing the color cognac, coe-nee-ack. Good grief!

Trusted Contributor

@bagnes wrote:

Another mispronunciation is jew-la-ree. It is jew-ul-ree. The host that's on at this very moment is pronouncing the color cognac, coe-nee-ack. Good grief!

@bagnes Thank you!  I’m watching the Frye Leather show and hearing Kristine Zell pronounce cognac (coney yack) over and over is ruining the show for me. Are the producers asleep upstairs? I’m not a snob, but I appreciate hosts that know the English language. I don’t care what anyone says, I miss Lisa Robertson. She was one classy lady.  

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I too have never heard mayonnaise pronounced any other way than manaise. And I think you can see that most of the us does pronounce it

with 2 syllables-"mannaise"

Mayonnaise sounds so weird to me!

The blue on this map shows who in the us pronounces it mannaise; the orange mayonnaise.

We are a nation divided over mayonnaise.

@on the bay  No offense, but I’m from the south and I pronounce it mayonnaise. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

I too have never heard mayonnaise pronounced any other way than manaise. And I think you can see that most of the us does pronounce it

with 2 syllables-"mannaise"

Mayonnaise sounds so weird to me!

The blue on this map shows who in the us pronounces it mannaise; the orange mayonnaise.

We are a nation divided over mayonnaise.

@on the bay  No offense, but I’m from the south and I pronounce it mayonnaise. 

I'm from the Northeast (Long Island and NYC), and it's always been mayonnaise to me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ketra wrote:

@bagnes wrote:

@bagnes Thank you!  I’m watching the Frye Leather show and hearing Kristine Zell pronounce cognac (coney yack) over and over is ruining the show for me. Are the producers asleep upstairs? I’m not a snob, but I appreciate hosts that know the English language. I don’t care what anyone says, I miss Lisa Robertson. She was one classy lady.  

@bagnes and @Ketra,  The pronunciation of the word "jewelry" is one that comes up pretty often on the forums. 

There are 2 accepted pronunciations even though most of us might be accustomed to hearing "jew-ul-ree" or "jool-ree" instead of  "jew-la-ree."   

You can hear them at this link to the Oxford University Press, the first one British English and the second one North American English.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/english/jewelry#jewelry_inflg_1

If we listen to the recorded video presentations by some of the designers including Louis Dell'Olio, Stephen Dweck, and our dear Joan Rivers, they use the 2nd pronunciation, "jew-la-ree."  

I understand, though, that we're probably more personally attuned to our own certain way of articulating the word.image.gif

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I really think it is interesting how language and pronunciation is so different all across the US and the world!

I'll have to ask my aunt and cousin from upstate new york how they pronounce it. I can hear my cousin probably saying it mayonnaise-he has that NY accent.

If you ever want to read a fascinating book, read Edward Hall's, The Silent Language.

This has been such an interesting thread!Smiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ -

Maybe those are just a few strange people. We know that the only way to really pronounce mayonnaise is

Mannaise!Woman Very Happy

I have never heard it any other way in any part of the us either.

@on the bay,  When I was growing up in the southeastern USA we pronounced it "mann-aise" but then somewhere along the way I switched to "may-uh-naise."   No idea why.🙃

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Re: Correct punctuation not required?

@Chi-town girl what does that mean? 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

If you spend years in one part of the USA and move,you will be asked about where you have lived. Bagel and roof are two words that I can think of right now.

Song by Don Williams-"Learned to talk like the man on the 6 o'clock news".

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I’m wondering if those calling out the OP in such a snarky way, would do so if with her face to face. It’s so easy to be unkind hiding behind a keyboard. 

@Shanus 

Your response, seems snarky, and leads me to turn your question back to you.

While I don’t ‘call people out’ if the OP criticized a regional pronunciation of mine, I would respond, because pronunciation is in fact regional.

@hyacinth003 I hope you are feeling the benefit of the good wishes and advice you recently received here.

@Drythe   I no longer see your post, unless I missed it.