Esteemed Contributor

Re: Correct punctuation not required?

I think the OP is merely expressing her feelings and there is no need to jump all over her because of that.  I think we just need to vent once in a while and should not be criticized for it. 

If you don't agree, just move on or at least be kind in your opposition.

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

I think the OP is merely expressing her feelings and there is no need to jump all over her because of that.  I think we just need to vent once in a while and should not be criticized for it. 

If you don't agree, just move on or at least be kind in your opposition.

@Patriot3. Be kind? Like the op was?

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Well, at least the OP was told to "Get a Life."

Another comment we can always count on.

There truly is Nothing New Under the Sun.

Thanks @Johnnyeager for not supplying us with another unwanted new thought with the above post!  Whew!  It's good to come here and see the familiar!  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I’m wondering if those calling out the OP in such a snarky way, would do so if with her face to face. It’s so easy to be unkind hiding behind a keyboard. 

Honored Contributor

I think we need a new forum called Venting. Posters can post their vent but there are no answers to the vent allowed.

Respected Contributor

Only one "get a life" and no one said "change the station."  Things are improving.

Honored Contributor

Our local reporters mispronounce the same words along with "elementary" and a few more.

They skip over the T like it isn't even there.  I never hear anyone else pronouncing words this way.   Must be a new way of talking for people on TV.

Valued Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I’m wondering if those calling out the OP in such a snarky way, would do so if with her face to face. It’s so easy to be unkind hiding behind a keyboard. 

The same question can be ask OP:will she talk like this face to face?

Honored Contributor

Oh no, I just realized I say ‘melk’!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't really focus much on pronunciation as long as I can understand the message.   I grew up in the deep southeast, wonderfully southern accents all around, and I still enjoy the charm of regional accents and pronunciations.   There are only 2 words that sometimes catch my ear:  nuclear and realtor, and for some reason I notice when words ending in "ing" are pronounced as ending with "een" as if there's no "g" there.   

That's just my personal quirk, though.    I still prefer the rich and human blend of regional and cultural accents and pronunciations.   I like them.😊

Somehow this general discussion brings to mind an old Harry Chapin song, "Mr. Tanner."   Sure, hosting shopping shows might not be the artistic endeavor singing beautiful music is, but there are times when we criticize people into the ground and crush their spirit.   I hope never to do that.

It's obvious that @hyacinth003 meant to type "pronunciation" instead of "punctuation."   With all the typos I make, and will make, that gets a quick pass from me -- and also I know from other threads that she's been under substantial stress lately.   We all get distracted now and then, right?   My condolences, and good wishes to you, @hyacinth003.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova