Respected Contributor

Re: Correct pronunciation not required?

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@hyacinth003  You will find many negative comments on this post. But, I shudder as well. I hear local newscasters committing similar abominations. To win friends and influence people, probably best not to mention.

@PA Mom-mom 

Thanks for the advice.  But I am well aware that MOST anything one posts is treated similarly.  I have posted twice about losing my father last week and felt so good that the replies were so kind.

Hyacinth

Occasional Contributor

• My word pet peeve is mayonaisse.  Pronouncing in man- aisse  is just strange no matter where your from.  If you say man instead of May then does that mean the month of May  is pronounced man.   Just say mayo and it's covered.  Silly but it drives me nuts.  I call it lazy speech.
Honored Contributor

@Seabiscuit wrote:
  • My word pet peeve is mayonaisse.  Pronouncing in man- aisse  is just strange no matter where your from.  If you say man instead of May then does that mean the month of May  is pronounced man.   Just say mayo and it's covered.  Silly but it drives me nuts.  I call it lazy speech.

@Seabiscuit  I don’t call it lazy speech. It’s the only way I have ever heard it pronounced except for a friend from Louisiana. 

Some people have absolutely no clue about language, pronunciation and different parts of the country. Absolutely none.

Honored Contributor

I too have never heard mayonnaise pronounced any other way than manaise. And I think you can see that most of the us does pronounce it

with 2 syllables-"mannaise"

Mayonnaise sounds so weird to me!

The blue on this map shows who in the us pronounces it mannaise; the orange mayonnaise.

We are a nation divided over mayonnaise.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I too have never heard mayonnaise pronounced any other way than manaise. And I think you can see that most of the us does pronounce it

with 2 syllables-"mannaise"

Mayonnaise sounds so weird to me!

The blue on this map shows who in the us pronounces it mannaise; the orange mayonnaise.

We are a nation divided over mayonnaise.

@on the bay  Thanks for the map. But the orange colors in the NE, have never heard it pronounced other than the two syllables. Maybe someone else from the area has heard differently.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ -

Maybe those are just a few strange people. We know that the only way to really pronounce mayonnaise is

Mannaise!Woman Very Happy

I have never heard it any other way in any part of the us either.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ -

Maybe those are just a few strange people. We know that the only way to really pronounce mayonnaise is

Mannaise!Woman Very Happy

I have never heard it any other way in any part of the us either.

@on the bay   I’m sure you are right!

Honored Contributor

Re: Correct punctuation not required?

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@Suziepeach wrote:

It's okay @hyacinth003 ... my fingers some times think differently than my thought process when I type too...

Pay no mind and just change the title spelling.. it just doesn't matter and no big deal...

I well remember a long, long time ago for making a mistake like this and boy was I ripped apart.. those things/words aren't forgotten.

Am well aware of words or made up words being used by both hosts and in the world.  I pay no mind and yes sometimes it is like nails on a chalkboard, especially when pronunciations are over done.  OHHHHH yeah like with that cutsie high pitched voice or acting all valley girly.. LOL puhleezeeeeee... 

@Suziepeach 

Thanks for being kind.  I haven't posted here in awhile, until last week.  So I have been reading the board again.  I will probably stop posting again, although I did expect this!

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003 please stick around to post... Yes a moderator corrected the misspelling in the title, that was really nice. I mentioned earlier a few years back I messed up a thread title and was absolutely torn apart and bullied.  I'd never do that to anyone as clearly it's not something done on purpose. 

Anywho, it's all okay- take in a deep breath and find something else you'd enjoy posting & taking part in.  I stayed away for a long time myself, for reasons that shall remain shhh'sd.. LOL how's that for spelling?

Speaking of how people pronouce words, it's a shame when tv has to translate someone speaking English- I get a kick out of that..

You take care of and don't stay away!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I consider hosts public speakers.  As such, I would think they should be able to speak correctly.

I notice so many incorrect pronunciations of words.  How can this be on television?  SInce I guess the powers that be go over tapes of shows, why don't they correct it?

Some examples are "imporDant," "mElk,""cah-un."  Those are just a few examples.  In case you can't understand, the words are important, milk, and cotton.  These aren't difficult words to pronounce.  I don't know where these are learned, but they could be corrected.  Like nails on a chalkboard for me!

Hyacinth

Then stop watching,  easy peasy. It's not the 1st time that youve posted about this and specific hosts that you dislike/host bashing.  What's the point???? Oh, yes...host bashing,  lol!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Re: Correct punctuation not required?

@Suziepeach wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@Suziepeach wrote:

It's okay @hyacinth003 ... my fingers some times think differently than my thought process when I type too...

Pay no mind and just change the title spelling.. it just doesn't matter and no big deal...

I well remember a long, long time ago for making a mistake like this and boy was I ripped apart.. those things/words aren't forgotten.

Am well aware of words or made up words being used by both hosts and in the world.  I pay no mind and yes sometimes it is like nails on a chalkboard, especially when pronunciations are over done.  OHHHHH yeah like with that cutsie high pitched voice or acting all valley girly.. LOL puhleezeeeeee... 

@Suziepeach 

Thanks for being kind.  I haven't posted here in awhile, until last week.  So I have been reading the board again.  I will probably stop posting again, although I did expect this!

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003 please stick around to post... Yes a moderator corrected the misspelling in the title, that was really nice. I mentioned earlier a few years back I messed up a thread title and was absolutely torn apart and bullied.  I'd never do that to anyone as clearly it's not something done on purpose. 

Anywho, it's all okay- take in a deep breath and find something else you'd enjoy posting & taking part in.  I stayed away for a long time myself, for reasons that shall remain shhh'sd.. LOL how's that for spelling?

Speaking of how people pronouce words, it's a shame when tv has to translate someone speaking English- I get a kick out of that..

You take care of and don't stay away!

LOL, touché!  

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri