Respected Contributor

Re: Correct punctuation not required?

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

Melk for milk is very midwestern. Many of my relatives say it this way. Warsh for wash also.

These complaints about pronounciation come up frequently and nearly all the whining is regarding regional pronounciations.

I love regional accents. I find them fascinating. 

@Ms tyrion2.  I’m from NJ and say both of those words! So did my parents from NJ. LoL!

That is what is so fascinating to me @proudlyfromNJ .

My mom who was born,raised and lived in IL her entire life said them that way.  My brother says melk and pellow. My sister doesn't. Both have always lived in IL.

I moved to AZ in 1974, so I lost a lot of my Central IL accent.  Sometimes it surfaces on certain words, though!

Respected Contributor

I'm easy to please.  I would be happy if Jane T. would say CORal instead of CARRRal.  Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

Melk for milk is very midwestern. Many of my relatives say it this way. Warsh for wash also.

These complaints about pronounciation come up frequently and nearly all the whining is regarding regional pronounciations.

@Ms tyrion2.  I’m from NJ and say both of those words! So did my parents from NJ. LoL!

My mom who was born,raised and lived in IL her entire life said them that way.  My brother says melk and pellow. My sister doesn't. Both have always lived in IL.

I moved to AZ in 1974, so I lost a lot of my Central IL accent.  Sometimes it surfaces on certain words, though!

@Ms tyrion2   That’s funny about your Mom and sister. Even though I say melk, I do say pillow.

Esteemed Contributor

I have to agree with the OP that those pronunciations bother me a bit too.  But I guess they are some sort of local accent.  I notice that Susan Graver adds "R"s to the end of a lot of her words.  That is an accent too.  I wonder how or why these accents got started, where they just literally change how the word should be spelled to match what they are saying.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 PUNCTUATION is NOT evident when someone speaks!!

Honored Contributor

Who here on this earth is perfect?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Evidently some QVC posters. Woman Wink

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only care about pronunciation when it pertains directly to the product....For example, being able to properly pronounce the names of gem stones (google can help the host do this) and I think its the hosts job to be well informed about the merchandise in their show!!!

As far as other words....its a matter of regional dialect....Is it PEE Can...or Pa CAN.....Is it toe mat toe, or tomate Oh.....Or po tate Oh or po tot Oh....As the old song lyrics say....LETS CALL THE WHOLE THING OFF! Smiley Happy 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Evidently some QVC posters. Woman Wink

@Imaoldhippie @JaneMarple. Posters who don’t think they have regional accents. I had a friend a long time ago from the mountains in Virginia. Sometimes I didn’t know what she was saying.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I love regional accents.  Born and raised in NJ, spent some years in CA and now in Texas, so who knows how I speak now.  When with my NJ born sisters I slip right back to my native NJ speak, some changes in CA but now I say y'all when I'm home. Get my whole extended family from various states together and we sound like a league of nations!