Valued Contributor

I can't understand how does self treatment at home  help not to spread.

What about the other family members living there. This makes no sense to me.

Can anyone shed some light on this.

Thanks!

Valued Contributor

I assume it's because there are less people at home that you could possibly infect rather than going out where there are numerous people.  At a doctor's office there are people in the waiting room that might already be sick with something else or have a compromised immune system that shouldn't be around someone with the Coronavirus. 

Honored Contributor

@Bella2022Maybe because many of the people who do contract the virus aren't in need of medical attention????  That would make it like other viral infections.  However, I did read that if we suspect we're infected, we should call our doctor's office before going there and also call the local Department of Health.

It's really hard to know how to react, how much more dangerous this virus is than others, but I do know I've had the "ordinary" flu several times in my life and went to a doctor only once after it made me faint twice.  Not at all sure what I might do now because it's been literally decades since I had the flu.

I'm not in panic mode, but I am avoiding crowds for the most part.  I'm retired so I have more options than when I worked.  So glad I am not in the schools -  that made even the typical cold and flu season dicey!            

Trusted Contributor

Chances are that your family is already compromised, so if you stay home with them and quarantine yourself in your home, coming into contact w/nobody or nothing else, you should get over it unless you're in one of the high-risk categories.

I may be completely wrong, but that's how I understand it from what I've read.

Respected Contributor

I believe that "self-treatment at home" really is self-quarantine.  But, rather than get all kinds of opinions and meaningless answers here, why not go to the CDC website and see what it has to offer.

Honored Contributor

Re: Coronavirus??

[ Edited ]

It has real name, I wish the media and people would call it Covid-19.  It's  virus and like all viruses, there's cure.  They treat the symptoms.  The common cold is  coronavirus and the vast majority of people who do get it, will feel like they have cold.  At worst, they will feel like they have the flu.  They'll stay home; drink fluids, take aspirin for aches and pains, stay hydrated and all the other things we all do with cold or the flu.  Only the people who have serious respiratory complications will be need to be hospitalized.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree   please review your post above. I think you left out a (key) word.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge 

I think I found it.  "Only".  

Honored Contributor

Well other family members may get it but it's better than spreading it to everyone you come in contact with if you go out? 

In China people were not working, kids not going to school. It's the only way you can get it under control.

Respected Contributor

@Bella2022 wrote:

I can't understand how does self treatment at home  help not to spread.

What about the other family members living there. This makes no sense to me.

Can anyone shed some light on this.

Thanks!

Because 4 people in a home is better than those four people plus 15 people in a doctor's office or those 4 people plus 50 in an ER. If every person who gets it infects 2 more people, those numbers go up exponentially as you increase the number of people you interact with.

If your symptoms are bad enough you need to be in a hospital, go. But for most people, that won't be the case.