Honored Contributor

Is any thing collectible today? I see so much at Goodwill for pennies.

Trusted Contributor

Frustrating!   I had tons of Fenton Art Glass that I didn't even get my original paid price when selling, let alone make a little on it.   Some pieces very old.  

Where I live the auction houses are full of stuff that doesn't sell.  The auctions used to be so much fun.  

Honored Contributor

@avid shopper @Group 5 minus 1 The only good thing about most of the "collectibles" I own is that I still like most of them.  That market is really fickle -  csn't imagine getting my money back let alone make a profit on them.  

Honored Contributor

I think younger people don't want to have so much stuff.  Can't say that I blame them.  And anything originally marketed as a collectible hasn't actualy been collectible in recent memory.   There's just too much of it, in mint condition no less.

Trusted Contributor

For the past 10 years or so, I have collected Kay Finch pottery (manufactured in Corona del Mar CA from 1939-1962).  In the 90s, the prices were sky high; since 2000, prices have tumbled.  However, over the past nine or so months, prices on certain pieces have increased dramatically.  The lesser pieces still sell for peanuts, if they sell at all.  But there is a market again for certain parts of the line.   Who knows what the future will bring, but I am heartened by this.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Is any thing collectible today? I see so much at Goodwill for pennies.

@Group 5 minus 1   Estate jewelry seems to be holding its value. I was able to get several jewelry stores to take Mom’s pieces and said they “move” quickly. Workmanship and materials were excellent and nothing like jewelry today.

Honored Contributor

About the only things I collect now are the little figures in the yellow slickers.

Honored Contributor

I don’t buy collectibles in hopes they will be worth more money to me one day. I buy items because I like them. I never think about what the future value of the item will be. Just not into that sort of thing.  

Respected Contributor

@avid shopper wrote:

Frustrating!   I had tons of Fenton Art Glass that I didn't even get my original paid price when selling, let alone make a little on it.   Some pieces very old.  

Where I live the auction houses are full of stuff that doesn't sell.  The auctions used to be so much fun.  

I have my Mom's Fenton Hurricane Lamps. I actually gave them to her many years ago.  Cost a pretty penny.  I thought about selling them but I know I would get no way near what I paid for them.