Esteemed Contributor

Re: Clearance items becoming full price again.

@Dennieee it annoys me when QVC does this - to me, clearance is clearance. Don't change prices.  Of course I think all the shopping channels do it which doesn't annoy me any less. 

Esteemed Contributor

@elated Wendy's had announced they were going to consider "surge pricing" which is another name for dynamic pricing by increasing prices during high volume times.  Read - breakfast, lunch & dinner times.  They got a high level of push back from customers and backpedaled very quickly saying "that's not what we meant". 

Ha oh yes it was.

Frequent Contributor

They no longer even keep lunchtime specials for the week anymore changed like 2 weeks ago.  If you don't buy it when you see it it will be gone as a lunchtime special and the price will go up.  It has turned into a 13 hour sale for most of the items. They change the rules but you can't find the new rules on the website.

I bought a pair pants last week just as the went on clearnace last week .  Over the weekend they went up to a sale price and havn't come back down after what ever the deal reveal weekend was (only reval I saw was things at higher price).   This happens a lot during sales weekend if  keep stuff in a wish list is so obvious.

Trusted Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

I have a client whose software performs dynamic pricing. I recognize the patterns here, so I am suggesting that QVC either uses software or does it manually. Dynamic pricing gives companies margin gains through incremental increases or decreases in retail pricing. It also accounts for factors like season, inventory, damage and markdown allowance, OTB, and value ranking.

Amazon is probably the biggest practitioner I can point to. 

From QVC's quarterly reporting, it sounds like it;s working for them.

Respected Contributor

@RescueLover wrote:
Nope the stores do the same thing!! I was watching a Kenneth Cole watch at their website and the Q’s. Both went on sale from $125 to $99, but Q had free shipping so I bought it from the Q. Kenneth Cole claimed only a few left in stock. I checked back at KC’s to see if it had sold out and it was back to $125! Guess the few that they had they decided they wanted full price.

You have to really keep track and decide when the price is right for you! I had the opposite happen to me today at the Q. I bought the set of 3 planters on free shipping day, that are now a lunchtime special today. The original price was $198 and I feel I got a bargain at $74.99 w/free shipping, but to my surprise they went down to $39.99 today!!! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

@RescueLover I agree other stores play the pricing game, but QVC raises the price on CLEARANCE items. They are the only retailer I've seen do this. I'm not talking about a sale price going up, I'm talking about a clearance price going up. I thought the point of clearance was to get rid of the merchandise. 

Respected Contributor

@RescueLover wrote:
BUT other vendors do one thing worse!! They haunt us by continuing to send texts and emails about the item that you were looking at, put in your cart but changed your mind, and the price went up on after the fact!!
😜😜😜
Which in my mind makes it worse. I don’t like to be reminded that I lost a deal. 😳
It makes me want to Unsubscribe to these places. QVC does not, has not done that to me and I like that ALOT!

I get these emails from QVC about leaving something in my cart and when I check I notice the price is higher. So yup, QVC does this exact same thing. The infamous "wait you left something behind" email. Uh QVC no I didn't. I didn't buy it because I didn't want it and now that the price is higher, I really don't want it.

Trusted Contributor

I have to agree this is one QVC practice I do not at all like or agree with. There has been a Kim Gravel top I like but couldn’t justify paying full-price for it because I thought full- priced was too over-priced. I had it on my wish list and checked it one day and it was on Clearance, down by just about $20. The next day I went to buy it and it was back to the pre-Clearance price. Strange - something should either be on Clearance or it’s not Smiley Sad
Esteemed Contributor

I have items on my wish list - the price changed hourly!! They need to keep the prices stable. 🙄🙄

Respected Contributor

i've seen this many times in brick n morter stores.

example....last year Polo repriced all their mens down jackets from clearance to regular price.

up and down pricing is not new and not exclusive to Q

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes! The up and down pricing is absurd!!  I was following a Gravel zip sweater over past 3 weeks ( I was interested). So, First it was $60, then $72, then on clearance for $48, then back up to $68- WTH Q ?? I guess they hope you will jump at it when it drops... not me.