Super Contributor

Clear nail polish over costume jewelry???

I recently read that a collector of Joan Rivers crystal jewelry covered her pieces with a clear nail polish to "preserve" the piece.  I have never considered this and I am not sure that would work.  Comments?

The thing that gives life its greatest significance is the capacity to care
Frequent Contributor

Re: Clear nail polish over costume jewelry???

I have done that on the back of rings that were not sterling or gold...it does help to not turn my finger colors (due to the metals).  I have not tried putting it on other types of jewelry.  I think on the back of bracelets would work...I had a costume piece of jewelry (bracelet) turn my wrist colors.  

Honored Contributor

Wow!!!  That is really old school.  My mother use to shine her costume jewelry w/clear nail polish.

Remember pany hose?  I've used clear nail polish on snags to prevent the runs.  Worked liked a charm. Smiley Very Happy

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Eventually it's going to make a mess of the jewelry.  It will wear off unevenly and will change color where worn.

I have a lot of the early JR jewelry which I no longer wear but it looks as good today as the day I got it.  Why would I want to mess it up with nail polish?

Really bad idea.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I also have a lot of Joan Rivers jewelry that I've had for years (decades) and it all still looks like new.  She always used Swarovski crystals (the best in the world) and heavily plated her jewelry.  I wouldn't dream of putting nail polish over any of it and spoiling the look.

The only time I recommended a friend do that was with another brand of costume jewelry, when she seemed to be having a reaction to some earrings.  She coated the back of the earring with clear nail polish and it solved the problem (so it was contact dermatitis).

Other than that, no.