Respected Contributor

Jane Tracey keeps saying Aveda is Clean Beauty. It's not listed under QVC's Clean Beauty menu and it does not say clean anywhere in the listing. I got caught buying another product the host claimed was clean. I bought it as it was selling out. I looked it up and found it was not clean. Ten minutes later I tried to cancel order only to be told it was in process of being shipped! Ten days later I'm having to pay to return it. They need to be more careful when calling items "Clean".

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Re: Clean or not clean

[ Edited ]

@Imadickens - I didn't see the show but Aveda products are vegan.  There's a lot of information on their website.

ETA:  Email the Social Team to explain your situation.  If you feel the information given was wrong and you tried to cancel, they may be able to note your account so you're not charged return shipping.

QVCSocialTeam@qvc.com

Esteemed Contributor

There's a difference between obtaining the QVC/HSN Clean Beauty Seal and a company calling itself "clean" based upon its own definition and parameters. 

Aveda does not have the QVC Clean Beauty Seal.

I agree that if a host or guest uses the term "clean beauty" they should be clearer about what definition they are using.

Honored Contributor

Aveda claims to be a "green product", but if you look at ingredients, some contain parabens sodium laureth sulfate, artificial frangrances and other questionable ingredients. 

They're under the umbrella of Estee Lauder...enough said.

Honored Contributor

Is there a legal definition of "clean?"  I'm sure there are some guidelines that may vary from company to company, but is "clean" a defined legal term?

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Is there a legal definition of "clean?"  I'm sure there are some guidelines that may vary from company to company, but is "clean" a defined legal term?

@Sooner This is QVC's definition of Clean Beauty:

"The QVC® Clean Beauty seal designates that a brand formulates products without sulfates (SLS and SLES), parabens, methylisothiazolinone/methylchloroisothiazolinone, formaldehydes, formaldehyde-releasing agents, phthalates, petrolatum, mineral oil, chemical sunscreens, coal tar, hydroquinone, triclosan, triclocarban, and talc.

It also indicates products contain less than one percent of synthetic fragrances and are certified cruelty-free by a third-party source."

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper Thanks.  But in general, is there a definition of "clean" or can any company just say they are clean?

Honored Contributor

Re: Clean or not clean

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper Thanks.  But in general, is there a definition of "clean" or can any company just say they are clean?

@Sooner  I think yours is an excellent question.  I don't think there is a standard definition at all.  Each company that uses the term makes their own definition; there's no regulatory standard.  Each shopper has to use their own guidelines for what they will agree with as their exhaustive list of unwanted chemicals. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Clean beauty is a made up thing. There's no legal definition for it. Any company can call their products "clean."

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

Jane Tracey keeps saying Aveda is Clean Beauty. It's not listed under QVC's Clean Beauty menu and it does not say clean anywhere in the listing. I got caught buying another product the host claimed was clean. I bought it as it was selling out. I looked it up and found it was not clean. Ten minutes later I tried to cancel order only to be told it was in process of being shipped! Ten days later I'm having to pay to return it. They need to be more careful when calling items "Clean".

@Imadickens   you're so right!  According to QVC's customer service, Aveda does not fall under QVC's made up definition of Clean Beauty.  Jane and the other hosts need to do their homework better on that one.  She repeated that mistake all during her Aveda show.