Valued Contributor

Christmases of the Past at QVC

[ Edited ]

Who remembers Christmas Eves and Christmas days of yesteryear on QVC? There would be pre-recorded segments that were used as time fillers, so the hosts could be home with their families. I think that is the way things should be on such a special holiday. This year, since almost half of the QVC programs are routinely pre-recorded and shown over and over, we won't even notice the difference!

Honored Contributor

Re: Christmases of the Past at QVC

@Jeanne from VAI have no idea what SHOULD be in today's world.  I remember the years of QVC's recorded past, but that was a far different world from the one we're living in now.  Think of the dismay when stores started opening on Thanksgiving -  they're still playing with what hours it's best to be open, but more important, imo, is that shoppers are spending millions of dollars on purchases on that holiday, lots online but also lots in those now open stores.

I know Christmas is different for some, but we already know Internet shopping goes forward on Christmas and I suspect there'd be mall shoppers, too, were a mall in business.  That seems to be how the retail world is headed and I think the shoppers may be more ready than the retailers.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could not be remembering correctly, but I think I recall Rick Domier with his children when they were little, maybe Mary Beth, too.  And a little further along in time, I remember Mally and Laura Geller doing make up demonstrations from bare face to full face. And then recent history, the Blue Jean Chef teaching us while she cooked.  Now it is just recordings of items for sale.

Super Contributor

Kathy Levine always signed off on Christmas Eve at 3 or 4, whenever they close down, because she was Jewish and she also didn't have children, so that the other hosts could be home by then.  The programming over that day and a half was so nice - the hosts at home with their kids doing a cooking show or a craft project, just neat and interesting things.  No sales.  Now, it's the parade over and over again and sales.  They had the Blue Jean Chef last year, but she is now gone, so that might be gone as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

I remember all the Christmas programs of years passed.  They were such fun!  Cooking segments, hosts' families included, singing and dancing, no selling.   Just holiday fun.  I watched on my kitchen TV while I cooked.   I especially remember a segment of Dave King and Lisa R singing and dancing - and they were good!   QVC should continue making videos like that.  Makes their hosts seem a little bit more human to me.  Now it's nothing but pre-recorded shows of hard sell - and the same products we've seen a zillion times before.  Sure doesn't make me want to order anything.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]
  1. @tototwo I remember the Christmas singing years ago! I remember David Venabke has a beautiful voice, along with several of the other hosts. At that time, not everything was focused on 'hard sales", as they seem to be now. I think the cheerfulness of the holiday season needs to come back to "The Q". 
Respected Contributor

@suziebee1 wrote:

Kathy Levine always signed off on Christmas Eve at 3 or 4, whenever they close down, because she was Jewish and she also didn't have children, so that the other hosts could be home by then.   

And last before sign-off at 4pm ET she would read the book A Cup of Christmas Tea. I think Lisa Mason carried the tradition on at least another year. By the way, many of the segments mentioned in this thread- Christmas Cookies Recipe with QVC Host Rick Domeier and sons Nick and Josh, Banana Bread Recipe with Lisa RobertsonBaby It's Cold Outside with Lisa Robertson and Dave King, and many more, are available on YouTube.

Super Contributor

I remembered that also, they even made a record. Mary Beth has a beautiful voice. They all are so talented. It gave you an insight into their lives. The part i liked when they would read stories to the children.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember one time when the QVC hosts made a Christmas album of the hosts singing various Christmas songs, and the cd's were included with a box of Christmas cards, that you could send out, and each card featured a different host on the front, with a holiday greeting on the inside.

I bought a box of those cards.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I would never watch QVC on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Do not feel like suffering