Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas in July had no joy or specialness

[ Edited ]

Q2 was Christmas today.  So, it's been 2 days of showing pretty much the same products that I wouldn't buy.

So far, uninspiring, but I'll be checking in both QVC and Q2 the rest of the month.  

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoyed the shows I watched and it helps seeing it on TV rather than my I-pad. I’d already ordered several things but waited to see the new gift bags which I ordered. 

I wish they would show how to open them on the presentations because some people don’t know.  I find it easy just a finger on each side and pull. My granddaughter opens them fast! 

But adults seem to struggle until I tell them it’s a draw string. 

My son and granddaughter laughed when I turned David’s big Christmas show on. My son was shaking his head saying “It’s 95 degrees outside and you have Christmas on, and I don’t need another tree!” It’s a standing joke that I ask him each year during Christmas in July if he wants another tree.

It’s fun!

Respected Contributor

I didn't watch much over the weekend but most of the items I were the same things presented over the past few years.  Maybe new items will be presented later on.  From now until Christmas they will have a lot of holiday programming or at least they have in years past.  I have all the Christmas decorating items I need but it is fun to watch Valerie Parr Hill.

Respected Contributor

I found the day to be quite enjoyable!

A host does not have to wear holiday clothes to be effective--my focus was on the items being presented.

There were many new items to consider and the decorating ideas were wonderful.

Valerie was brilliant as usual.  

The day was different so THAT made it special!

Honored Contributor

I thought it was just fine, I enjoyed it and picked up a couple of items.  Q2 had a Christmas show with a set of four, 9" Luminara candles for under $85.  Indoor Luminara candles at 9" can be $35 to $40 each.

It's not supposed to be a Christmas show, it's shopping to get ready for the actual Christmas holiday.  The dressed up sets, as minimal as they were, is just supposed to be enough to tip-toe into the mood to shop.

I always find it so bizarre when some complain that "Christmas is in December!!!"  I think everyone knows that.  Christmas in July has been around since the 1930's in this country, and even earlier in other countries.  Back then, it was a way to actually celebrate it in July, and the shopping part was necessary to get the decor and presents ready for it. 

I have a lot going on in my life.  I like Christmas in July if there are good sales to shop early and plan for December.  Plus, the overall joy of the actual holiday also fills my house during those viewing moments.  It's a win/win for me. 

Honored Contributor

Christmas in August may be more to your liking.  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

I got my food orders in, now I don’t have to try and watch to figure out when they will have these offered close to the holidays. I ordered fruitcake, juniors small cakes, for family members to ship on 12 /4. All Done. 

Respected Contributor

I’m not knocking CIJ—I have shopped this event in the past—but I don’t look at this as anything other than a clearance of the warehouse from last year and a taste of what is to come. It usually features about 8-10 items that sneak into just about every show, and you know the saying, “familiarity breeds contempt.” This year I just wasn’t into it.

I really don’t need any more decor that uses batteries or is coated in glitter. I may buy a few wreaths because they can be used in so many ways. Some of my older ones are past their prime. 

Respected Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

I got my food orders in, now I don’t have to try and watch to figure out when they will have these offered close to the holidays. I ordered fruitcake, juniors small cakes, for family members to ship on 12 /4. All Done. 

That was a "piece of cake."