Occasional Visitor

Christmas Chat With Kids in th Mall

QVC, you did it again. Just like last year, you shown that you do not approve of the real word.

Yes, the remarks by the children at the mall about Santa and Christmas are cute but where are the rest of the worlds kids? Just like last year you chose not show true America. Where are the Hispabic, Black, Native and other children that represent true America?

Looking at those little snipets makes one believe that you are biased against people/children of color.

I was fortunate to grow up in a neighborhood that was multiracial, multicultural and real life. And I choose to live that way today.

I assume that your QVC customers are not of one race.  

I think it's time you catch up to 2015.

Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas Chat With Kids in th Mall

Blame the ad agency that made the commercial.   Q has a pretty diverse family of hosts..................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I thought it was filmed where a Santa was and those were the kids that were there so why should "special" kids be brought in to representative every single nationality or handicap?  We will never be one society if everything is looked at to make sure there is diversity.  To me they were kids and I don't look at anything else.

Frequent Contributor

Well here's a thread just to get people debating on being politically correct. 

~ It's a good day when I didn't have to unleash the flying monkeys! ~
Honored Contributor

I don't think it's a matter of being politically correct (oh how I despise that term).  If it was a few of the same cute kids being asked different questions, I would see it as very adorable kids (they are!) and not give it a 2nd thought.  But after a while, I see each question has a different group of kids, and then another new group of kids.  Then I sit and watch QVC sell kids' dolls all of one color.  They present several beauty brands that have 7 shades of foundation, but only 1 shade (called Deep or Rich) is for more diverse, deeper complexions.  When I think of it in its totality, yes it does seem to me that QVC may be -- short-sighted.  So, it's sometimes not just about that cute QVC Christmas commercial, but it's about yet another slight, or "oh we didn't think that would matter" sentiment.   Also, it's not the ad agency's responsibility -- QVC pays the ad agency and gets the final say to keep any marketing or change it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Moving on... For heaven's sake, it was a feature about kids and Santa. Even in this ridiculous age in which we live, not every single thing ever produced needs to include a Heinz 57 variety of participants. This sort of mentality is getting very, very old and is precisely the kind of mess that gives certain types of 'politicians' a foothold among some 'real' people, It was a vignette, likely filmed at a mall in Pennsylvania, and therefore, it was not AT ALL necessary to represent the 'world's kids'. Is this post for real or just stirring the pot ...?

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@milliegrace wrote:

Well here's a thread just to get people debating on being politically correct. 

'Twas the FIGHT before Christmas..................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I don't think it's a matter of being politically correct (oh how I despise that term).  If it was a few of the same cute kids being asked different questions, I would see it as very adorable kids (they are!) and not give it a 2nd thought.  But after a while, I see each question has a different group of kids, and then another new group of kids.  Then I sit and watch QVC sell kids' dolls all of one color.  They present several beauty brands that have 7 shades of foundation, but only 1 shade (called Deep or Rich) is for more diverse, deeper complexions.  When I think of it in its totality, yes it does seem to me that QVC may be -- short-sighted.  So, it's sometimes not just about that cute QVC Christmas commercial, but it's about yet another slight, or "oh we didn't think that would matter" sentiment.   Also, it's not the ad agency's responsibility -- QVC pays the ad agency and gets the final say to keep any marketing or change it. 

@Caaareful Shopper, I understand what you're saying. And oh, do I agree with your opinion of the overused "politically correct" label that can so often just act to demean others' feelings.

But...and this is a big but, I suggest that it's crucial to pick your battles. If you concentrate on what is arguably more trivial and likely not an overt act of ignoring diversity, then you risk losing your voice when it comes to the real acts of racism and inequality. It's akin to crying wolf, if that makes sense.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@neenp wrote:

QVC, you did it again. Just like last year, you shown that you do not approve of the real word.

Yes, the remarks by the children at the mall about Santa and Christmas are cute but where are the rest of the worlds kids? Just like last year you chose not show true America. Where are the Hispabic, Black, Native and other children that represent true America?

Looking at those little snipets makes one believe that you are biased against people/children of color.

I was fortunate to grow up in a neighborhood that was multiracial, multicultural and real life. And I choose to live that way today.

I assume that your QVC customers are not of one race.  

I think it's time you catch up to 2015.

How about sometimes groups ARE all black, Hispanic, Native American, Indian, Chinese, Methodist, smokers, crossing guards, white, Australians, Weight Watchers, or whatever else.  

Do you ALWAYS invite one of type of person to your home?  Stand on the curb and then not participate if it is all one race/religion/nationality?  Do you not watch a tv show if the characters are all black?  Do you not watch if they are all white?  

I think it is shame people are making notes about such things ALL the time.  I don't think the world turns on a QVC ad.  I haven't even noticed it.