Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas Chat With Kids in th Mall

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I don't think it's a matter of being politically correct (oh how I despise that term).  If it was a few of the same cute kids being asked different questions, I would see it as very adorable kids (they are!) and not give it a 2nd thought.  But after a while, I see each question has a different group of kids, and then another new group of kids.  Then I sit and watch QVC sell kids' dolls all of one color.  They present several beauty brands that have 7 shades of foundation, but only 1 shade (called Deep or Rich) is for more diverse, deeper complexions.  When I think of it in its totality, yes it does seem to me that QVC may be -- short-sighted.  So, it's sometimes not just about that cute QVC Christmas commercial, but it's about yet another slight, or "oh we didn't think that would matter" sentiment.   Also, it's not the ad agency's responsibility -- QVC pays the ad agency and gets the final say to keep any marketing or change it. 

@Caaareful Shopper, I understand what you're saying. And oh, do I agree with your opinion of the overused "politically correct" label that can so often just act to demean others' feelings.

But...and this is a big but, I suggest that it's crucial to pick your battles. If you concentrate on what is arguably more trivial and likely not an overt act of ignoring diversity, then you risk losing your voice when it comes to the real acts of racism and inequality. It's akin to crying wolf, if that makes sense.

@suzyQ3 Thank you.  I do understand what you mean, and it's one of the reasons I do not walk around with a placard or bullhorn.  More times than not I'm not concerned at all, but then sometimes I get weary -- it's how I've grown up, and I'm a child of the 60's.  Explaining the difference to my son is my compassioned responsibility; to do so with empathy and intelligence, not knee jerk reaction. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think it's a matter of being politically correct (oh how I despise that term).  If it was a few of the same cute kids being asked different questions, I would see it as very adorable kids (they are!) and not give it a 2nd thought.  But after a while, I see each question has a different group of kids, and then another new group of kids.  Then I sit and watch QVC sell kids' dolls all of one color.  They present several beauty brands that have 7 shades of foundation, but only 1 shade (called Deep or Rich) is for more diverse, deeper complexions.  When I think of it in its totality, yes it does seem to me that QVC may be -- short-sighted.  So, it's sometimes not just about that cute QVC Christmas commercial, but it's about yet another slight, or "oh we didn't think that would matter" sentiment.   Also, it's not the ad agency's responsibility -- QVC pays the ad agency and gets the final say to keep any marketing or change it. 

Short sighted or, as I've so often been told when railing against QVC's offerings in recent years, do they focus upon what sells and the demographic to whom their research tells them they're selling it...? Right or wrong, no retail entity is all things to all people. This one has certainly devolved into one I rarely find fun to shop anymore. Everything does not boil down to being 'inclusive'. Many choices made, personal, professional, corporate, whatever... get decided based on a multiplicity of factors, prioritized by whoever is making the choice. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Short sighted or, as I've so often been told when railing against QVC's offerings in recent years, do they focus upon what sells and the demographic to whom their research tells them they're selling it...? Right or wrong, no retail entity is all things to all people. This one has certainly devolved into one I rarely find fun to shop anymore. Everything does not boil down to being 'inclusive'. Many choices made, personal, professional, corporate, whatever... get decided based on a multiplicity of factors, prioritized by whoever is making the choice. 

@stevieb Excellent point -- I have to agree.  I hope in QVC's infinite wisdom (tongue firmly in cheek) in trying to delve into the young demo now with all the young hosts, and edgy designers that stretch the fashion spectrum, they remember all those untapped millions of dollars they let fly right past their executive boardoom right into more savvy retailer doors who have truly done their homework. [Forgive the run-on sentence, but it was hard to catch my breath! LOL]

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb Excellent point -- I have to agree.  I hope in QVC's infinite wisdom (tongue firmly in cheek) in trying to delve into the young demo now with all the young hosts, and edgy designers that stretch the fashion spectrum, they remember all those untapped millions of dollars they let fly right past their executive boardoom right into more savvy retailer doors who have truly done their homework. [Forgive the run-on sentence, but it was hard to catch my breath! LOL]

True @Caaareful Shopper... and likewise the uptapped market they might have continued to reach, but for the approach they've employed for the past few years, which sees them repeating the same items and brands into infinity. They seem to think there's an endless pool of 'new' customers out there who haven't seen what they have to offer. I'd suspect they might be proven wrong, over time. Not even to mention that a certain number of long-term shoppers are turning away and some might not be turning back.

Trusted Contributor

Neenpoo: I had the same reaction as you.  Would it have harmed QVC or its customer base to request that the advertising agency (if in fact an external agency created the filmed segment) include African, Asian, Native, Latino, or children with handicaps?  Absolutely not!  No, we are not asking for a Heinz 57 assortment for each product. 

Consider these examples. The Pleasant Company recognized that girls of all races, ethnicities, and nationalities wanted beautiful dolls.  They created dolls that were African, Asian, Latino, and Native American, many of which were and continue to be bestseller.  I often see White girls with American Girl dolls representing other groups.  Mattel Corp. created a doll that was in a wheel chair and consumers responded by purchasing the doll, especially for their children with handicaps.  

It must be comforting to know that everything, no matter how significant or not that is positive in society focuses mainly on Whites.  If others complain about this preference, well too bad; you're making some uncomfortable or shoving an ideology down their throats, or you need to "get over it." No, we won't be quiet, accept these admonishments, or not think about the need for inclusion.

I wish people in this country might engage in collective self-reflection in which they consider the ways in which their comments and actions have served to continue ignorance, prejudice, racism, and any other "isms."  Then, I hope, in the spirit of the season that you become more civil, kind, and humane to your fellow human beings (that includes Michael Vick who was eviscerated on these boards despite the fact that he was punished and repented of his actions. A bit of restorative justice would alter life in this country in immeasurable ways. Thank you.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't post in the Michael Vick threads but he only repented because he got found out. I don't care what race you are, if you're involved with dog fighting Heck has a special place for you waiting. He'd been bashed even if he was white.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I seem to recall any number of on air promos and website photos QVC has shown featuring children, models and hosts of all ethnicities. I continue to think that this single video, because it didn't feature a veritable sampler of children, was not the heinous transgression some would choose to paint it as.

I'd also note that inclusion, compassion and consideration for all is a multi-lane highway.

And especially with regard to compassion, sometimes, not always, but sometimes, you reap what you sow...