Honored Contributor

If QVC plans on improving their website, the 20-somethings may become QVC shoppers.

The descriptions are spotty, reviews are spotty, incomplete, missing.

Amazon has QVC beat as far as website vs. website.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

The younger audience they are courting-- women in their 20s as mentioned in the article-- not only don't have the time to watch these lengthly beauty presentations, but don't have the $$$$$ to spend either, IMO. The products are much more costly than drugstore beauty products. I'm no marketing expert, but l feel the Qurate people are wasting their time.

(Edited to correct typo, lol).

BUT WHAT ABOUT EASY PAY!!!

(sarcasm)

@software 

Yeah ... making payments for six months for a 30 day supply of skincare stuff!  /s

Honored Contributor

The goal seems to be to focus each of the two networks in certain areas and minimize duplication between them. I don't see it working. While it might be a decent concept, in theory, I have no faith management will be able to implement it in a fashion that helps each of the two networks and their multiple stations stay fresh and less repetitive than they all are now, no matter how many VP's with lofty (and occasionally laughable) titles they hire...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

The younger audience they are courting-- women in their 20s as mentioned in the article-- not only don't have the time to watch these lengthly beauty presentations, but don't have the $$$$$ to spend either, IMO. The products are much more costly than drugstore beauty products. I'm no marketing expert, but l feel the Qurate people are wasting their time.

I think you are very mistaken about that.  You may be surprised at what women in their 20's can afford now and/or what they are buying whether they can afford it or not.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

I think you are very mistaken about that.  You may be surprised at what women in their 20's can afford now and/or what they are buying whether they can afford it or not.

I would say women in their 20's are probably like women of any age with respect to disposable income... Some have more than others... Likewise, people of all ages have varying amounts of time at their disposal. For me, the point is, many are not going to sit and endure seemingly endless hyperbolic presentations of the same handful of products...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Thanks for posting this.  All we need are more beauty shows to not watch.

@Kachina624

And this comment---eliminate many higher-priced electronics and some home goods, such as vacuum cleaners and blenders. (on HSN)

Are they going to move these shows/products to QVC  instead...............

Image result for kitty looking scared

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

So some Quarate bigwig guy is going to decide how women's beauty products get sold via their shopping networks and social media platforms.

And Quarate will be developing their own private label beauty brands to be sold on both shopping channels. Kind of like a Denim & Co or a G.I.L.I. house brand I can imagine. Probably drugstore quality at prestige cosmetics prices. I wonder who they will get to sell or shill such beauty products?

Honored Contributor

Re: Changes to QVC and HSN

[ Edited ]

@handygal2 wrote:

@handygal2

yep, all the folks I know that have kids in their 20s or see interviewed on TV---- are knee high deep in debt from college loans and dont have hardly any disposable income to speak of--- adding in that rents keep rising also. To give you an example, one 24 year old was fit to be tied because she's already paying $1100 in rent and its going up $15 and she's having a nervous breakdown over $15....For her expensive cosmetics---Ulta or Sephora egift cards from parents and relatives for birthdays and Christmas!!!

If they do need to buy clothes studies show they go to places like TJ Maxx, can you imagine them spending $59 to $139 for a Vince Camuto clothing item---LOL!!!! Woman LOL  As Aerosmith sang "Dream On"!!! 

This is a new and different generation.  All kinds of retail studies have been conducted and published in the financial rags/journals----Although they spend big bucks for the latest and greatest phones/TVs they wont spend it on clothes, handbags, shoes, jewelry, furniture and not even cars......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt

Our millennial daughter lives with us as housing in Vancouver, B.C. is very expensive. It's not unusual and nobody thinks twice about it if they have a young adult child living at home. 

My daughter spent a couple of years traveling overseas in Australia -- it's all about buying the experiences and not acquiring stuff. When you are traveling with a 50 pound backpack you cannot buy a lot of stuff without getting rid of stuff too.

As to the chances of a shopping network landing someone like my daughter as a customer there's no chance of that happening at all. She has never bought anything from a tv shopping channel. Neither have her millennial cousins in the U.S.

She would rather shop sales and thrift stores or look at beauty products at TJX owned stores like Winners and Marshalls in Canada and T.J. Maxx and Marshalls in the U.S.

As a homecoming present I bought her some cosmetics and skin care before she got home from there so she's all set!

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Tricolor wrote:

Thank you for the article. Very interesting reading. We are all seeing some of the changes but it was good to see actually what will be changing. My son and DIL both work in corporate offices for retail chains and Amazon is just killing everyone. 

This is so  true -- that Amazon is putting a lot of retailers out of business.  Not only that, customers can be extremely rude about it.  Without giving too many details, I will just say that we are in sales.  My husband has seen customers find what they want from our selections, only to order from Amazon while standing in front of him, and announce proudly that they did so.  We have to PAY to be where we are selling and pay all our expenses whether anything sells or not.  It costs a lot of money to ship the merchandise.  If every customer saw what we had and ordered from Amazon, we would not be there to show what is available.  I understand trying to save money.  I do not understand being so rude as to announce you are ordering from somewhere else, and even tell other customers in the vacinity to do the same.  Beyond rude.

@Puppy Lips

Hang in there, because one of these days---

1. Someone will declare them a monopoly and break up their little party......

.OR..

2.They are not going to be able to handle the delivery expectations as they drive more and more local retailers out of business.....Cant wait to see what happens during the Holidays....will they be able to keep employees they already work to death with more and more unfavorable working conditions to meet customer demands....