Super Contributor

Re: Cathy Pedrayes selling house

Guess it was all the folks on here complaining about the way she pronounces "cotton" and "button"....looks like Mary N will be next since people don't like here voice.

Respected Contributor

@Tayler1 wrote:

I said that the "stories" on Instagram only last a day, sometimes less.  They disappeared.  One of her stories she was showing the reef on her front door that she said that she couldn't take down because there were baby birds nested inside.  She said she is selling her house and didn't know what to do about the reef.  Another story was her lying on a hammock type outdoor furniture on her deck and she said everything was for sale. 

Do you mean wreath?  It would be hard to have a reef on your front door but maybe she has an awesome house over the water.  Smiley Happy 

Trusted Contributor

I looked at her pictures from the link someone posted. She is lovely but I feel terrible that I don’t remember her.

Seems to take me a while to “discover” the newbies. I personally like Mary Nelson a lot and I have no issue with her voice. I really like Ali. So many names I don’t know.

I hate to see anyone lose her/his job unless really incompetent.

I have noticed when I do come across a recent hire she'll mention just buying a home and wonder how they can be so comfortable purchasing a home so quickly when they have no job security.

Respected Contributor

Sad to read this. Seemed very down to earth, calm, and always seemed well prepared,  she will definitely do well.  She seemed to interact very well with vendors.  Don’t know all the new hires but Cathy was a joy to watch.  I saw one comment that her QVC family has been so supportive.  I wish her the best.

Respected Contributor

@topcat10 wrote:

Guess it was all the folks on here complaining about the way she pronounces "cotton" and "button"....looks like Mary N will be next since people don't like here voice.

@topcat10 

These are public speaking jobs, so voice is super important.  I don't know why they hire certain people after hearing them speak.

I can't do little girl voices and weird pronunciations, etc.  My schooling considered the English language paramount, and I guess I get it from there.  I just cannot get past it when I listen to some people.

Voice is super important in a job like host.

Hyacinth

New Contributor

Cathy just showed her house on Instagram, having her fist showing.  A very beautiful home!  She thanked everyone who has sent her messages as well.  It's sad that she is leaving and had to sell her house.  Best wishes to her. 

Highlighted
Contributor

I would rather see Mary Nelson go. I’ve tried listening to her, but I can’t take her voice.
Contributor

@Glitter51 wrote:

I hate that Cathy is no longer with the Q. She had improved so much from when she first started out. I much prefer her over several of the hosts. Kristen Zell is still just as bad as when she first started. Plus, no matter what’s she’s presenting, she’s always referencing her husband or children. I get so tired of that. Then there’s Mary Nelson, who’s voice, I just cannot get past.  I’m not sure how she is still there. 

I completely agree with everything you say about Zell - one more time about the kids and husband - I GET IT!

I also agree with you about Mary and her voice - I am surprised QVC does not have her seeing a voice coach.  BUT, I do like her personality and the fact she does her homework before the show.

New Contributor

PA is an at-will employment state. Employers do not need a reason to fire anyone. They just can't fire you for an illegal reason, like age or sex discrimination. However, I'd be pretty shocked if most of those hosts (if not all of them) aren't subcontractors. 

I'm sure it just had to do with sales and/or some kind of popularity matrix. I read an article that said they monitor in real time, down to seconds, how hosts and products are doing, giving them constant feedback in their ear. I liked Cathy a lot, but I guess she wasn't moving enough product. If comments on this board are any indication, new, younger female hosts tend not to be popular with QVC's predominantly female viewership.

Respected Contributor

I am guessing they like everything about Courtney K. They seem to have her on a fast track with giving her one or two shows. I much preferred the calm new host that was on during the late . Now she has joind the teenage pajama party atmosphere of Amy and Shawn.