Honored Contributor

@freakygirl wrote:

it doesn’t bother me at all. if she really does own it, what’s wrong with mentioning that she does. if you own something, like it, or believe in a product, you tell others don’t you? only difference here is, she does it on tv. 

Exactly!

It does seem that Carolyn shares more often, what she buys and what she owns that is being presented than some of the other hosts, and I don't disbelieve her when she says she has things.

David makes it really clear that many of the products he presents arrived from the vendor/company prior to his presentations, so he could use and review them for us. I'm sure it is no different for the other hosts. 

I personally would rather a host (yes, even one that is being paid to say the good things and make the sales of the item) have and use an item. I've heard hosts a number of times give good tips and share experiences that come from them having the products in their home, that might otherwise not have been mentioned (Jill is especially good about pointing out what might be a question or an issue with a product and how to work through it).

And I'm sure the hosts make great salaries, and can afford to buy a lot of what they sell. I also would bet they use the items, then move them on when the next latest greatest comes out and they then purchase those.

Esteemed Contributor

If Carolyn doesn’t own it then she has a relative who does!

Respected Contributor

Why would you believe anything these hosts say. They use every sales tactic in the book.  The end game is to sell. I just wish they would describe the item and stop the dribble. Not interested in their families, where they’ve been, or what’s in their closet. The best is when JRT repeats over and over that some relative did something or other with shoes, implying that gives her great knowledge about shoes.

Esteemed Contributor
Shawn does the same thing. They are each talking to their own demographic group. Carolyn has said she knows her viewers are often looking out for a parent as she is.
Shawn doesn't buy everything she presents, but what she does buy she buys in multiples!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Carolyn'shosting

[ Edited ]

That doesn't bother me. It's the constant never ending uhms every 10 seconds that bothered me enough that I include it on my list of about 20 reasons I rarely watch QVC except while channel flipping during ads or other short spurts. Example: This uhm is a very popular uhm color right now so uhm if you want it uhm you should uhm order it uhm now. (i made that sentence up but you get the picture) Truly the older I get the less patience I have with what 10 years ago wouldn't have bothered me. I should sign myself into an old folks home.

Esteemed Contributor
@shaggygirl, yeah, shes a big 'ummmm-er', and I think the older we get, the less time we are willing to waste with foolishness. I always have the impression when Carolyn is umming a lot she's listening to somebody talking to her in her earpiece. She ummmms more on some days than others. I think some producers are just more chatty and distracting to her.
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

Not to play devil's advocate, but I do think many times the hosts are given samples to try before they present them.

The hosts have mentioned many times they get samples/products in advance.  They receive cosmetics to try out before they are presented and/or a TSV.  I'm sure David and others get all the small appliances to try before they are shown.

Valued Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

That doesn't bother me. It's the constant never ending uhms every 10 seconds that bothered me enough that I include it on my list of about 20 reasons I rarely watch QVC except while channel flipping during ads or other short spurts. Example: This uhm is a very popular uhm color right now so uhm if you want it uhm you should uhm order it uhm now. (i made that sentence up but you get the picture) Truly the older I get the less patience I have with what 10 years ago wouldn't have bothered me. I should sign myself into an old folks home.

Great Post Shaggy!!!! I can only take about 3 times and she is muted!

bamasec                                                 

Respected Contributor

Carolyn often says that she owns this or that, BUT, I did hear her address the complaints (she does read them apparently) that people had made about that. 

She said on air that she does purchase a lot.  She and the other hosts get generous discounts, but,  she donates a lot of things to a woman's shelter in her area and she gives a lot to family members.

I think Carolyn is one of the most geniune of any of the hosts at QVC, and, at least she did address misgivings of her honesty.  

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC inappropriate