Honored Contributor

Re: Carolyn Gracie on Denim + Co

@LancerHawkFriar wrote:

I like CG very much. She is a real sized woman and owns it and talks about her figure flaws etc...very honestly And candidly which is very refreshing.  My peeve today is whoever styled her outfit today made a huge booboo.....that jacket she had on did not fit her at all!!! No way could she zip that thing! It was so unflattering on her. I felt bad for her because ususlly she looks great. Think the wardrobe/stylists need to rethink their choices...

That really is how the jackets are styled on QVC.  I have no idea why because it makes even the smallest model look like they are bursting out of their jackets.  There is always a half a foot of front area where the jackets do not reach and some of the models (and hosts) continually pull at the edges.  And the more volumptuous the woman, the bigger they look because they look crammed into the jacket.

Yes indeed, the stylists need to rethink this...  nothing like clothing that actually fits well...

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Frequent Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

After seeing her today, I don't think she wears a size large. She may squeeze into a large but it can't be comfortable. After all she has been through this year, it is understandable that she has gained weight. After a certain age, we have to be honest with ourselves regarding weight and sizes.

If we're going to be honest, though, we also have to make sure that we don't use age as a rationalization. A healthful diet and exercise can keep many aging people in very good shape and at a reasonable weight for their body.

I assume her point was that "reasonable weight for their body" isn't exactly the same at 55 as it was for 25 - that as we age, hormonally and activity-wise it's very difficult to maintain our 25 year old body. Not to mention that ability to exercise as in walk, hike, run, bike, etc. is not possible for many as they age due to various factors. Exercising for, say, flexibility and circulation isn't necessarily going to burn a lot of calories and produce firm muscle tone. People have to work with what they have and quite possibly be satisfied with their reasonable weight 50+ year old body and not yearn for their tennis-playing 25 year old body.

The poster didn't use the word "reasonable"; I did. So it was I who was implying that age may have some influence on weight. And of course there could be mitigating factors when it comes to exercise.

But for those in relatively good health who CAN exercise (even just walking), I still think that it is very possible to maintain a healthy weight. And most people without mitigating circumstances can follow a healtful diet.

And I also believe that some rationalize not doing so -- just as some talk about weight from pregnancy hanging on for years (yes, I know it's usually a one-liner).

No one says it's easy, but it can be done.

My mother lost 40 pounds at age 80 using Nutrisystem. I'm not promoting that diet and haven't used it and have no plans to. Just saying I hear women all the time say they just can't lose weight even though they eat one carrot and a bowl of steam only per day. With a few exceptions, I think they're fooling themselves about how much they eat. My mother never exercised either, other than house cleaning. I don't doubt it may take a little longer to lose weight at an older age, but saying they can't lose weight is just incorrect. Do they think if there were a famine and they stopped eating they would still weigh 200 pounds? I am saying this as someone who is postmenopausal and about 70 pouunds overweight. I know I can lose weight, because I have postmenopausally. I had gained about 20 pounds one year, and my endocrinologist asked if I knew how I gained the weight. I said, "Yes. I like food, and I ate a lot of it." He burst out laughing and said, "Finally, an honest patient!"

Super Contributor

How can someone who talks about her body in terms of "flaws" be said to "own it"?    She is using some guide to perfection in which she doesn't meet the standard.  I agree with all the comments about "real" women.

Honored Contributor

The other day they had a short coat on Jacquie the model.  It barely closed in the front, and the large inverted pleat in the back had to stretch across her rear end.  Then they raved about how great she looked in it.

It seems the styling team has no idea how clothes should fit.

Esteemed Contributor

I also think the Carolyn Gracie wears her clothing must too small. I do not think anyone chooses her clothing for her. And she is not a size large more like a extra large or 1X . She would look much better if she wore clothes in these sizes. And O/P I am a real women and I am a size 6 just had to laugh at that comment.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LancerHawkFriar@sparklestar

Carolyn is my favorite QVC host....she is pleasant, informative, and comes across as genuine regarding her body type, size etc......and the fact she loves animals is an added bonus.....

I think the problem with the too tight clothes comes from QVC's stylist....many people had commented on her Facebook Page about her wearing clothes that were too tight......I heard her once say that the stylist told her that clothes should fit close to the body, if clothes were worn a little looser they make you look heavier......so I think that is where this is coming from....And at one time Carolyn had said she had received so many comments regarding the clothes being too tight that she would try on clothes in her regular size and then try one size larger and wear on air what she thought would look better......but this was a while back and I think she has abandoned the idea.....

This must be what the fashion world considers appropriate because I've seen this not only on QVC but on local and national newscasters, TV shows, interviews etc etc....There is one local commercial for a college....the 20 year old wears a XS but it looks like she was squeezed into an XXS blousse, it's so tight there are gaps between the buttons and it looks like the clothes are so tight it makes it difficult for her to speak.....so this seems to impact women of all shapes/sizes....Personally, I want to see well fitted clothes, not too tight, and not too baggy.....just a proper fit!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sparklestar wrote:

What is "real women"????  I'm a size 2-4, am I not real? 

Maybe she chose her own clothing.  How do you know somone else dressed her?

@sparklestar@LancerHawkFriar@apple1964

I think what was meant was "the average clothing size of the American woman".....according to whoever decides these things ---  the average is a size 16.....it used to be a size 14......Here's an interesting article regarding it including "vanity sizing" .... 

http://www.today.com/style/what-s-average-size-16-new-normal-us-women-t103315

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

These were QVC's top stylist's favorite gowns at the Golden Globes:

IMG_3581.JPG

I'm not a fan of any of them, lol. So l rest my case...

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@handygal2 wrote:

These were QVC's top stylist's favorite gowns at the Golden Globes:

IMG_3581.JPG

I'm not a fan of any of them, lol. So l rest my case...

@handygal2

LOL---I think the photos said it all!!!  And I guess that is why they call television "the boob tube".....

Where have all the real talented designers gone......I remember the glamorous clothing styles that were worn for special events......now it's all about the breasts and nothing about some real style  .....  I'm not advocating dressing like mummies and not showing any skin, but something more attractive and glamorous would be welcomed!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Feliciti wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

After seeing her today, I don't think she wears a size large. She may squeeze into a large but it can't be comfortable. After all she has been through this year, it is understandable that she has gained weight. After a certain age, we have to be honest with ourselves regarding weight and sizes.

If we're going to be honest, though, we also have to make sure that we don't use age as a rationalization. A healthful diet and exercise can keep many aging people in very good shape and at a reasonable weight for their body.

I assume her point was that "reasonable weight for their body" isn't exactly the same at 55 as it was for 25 - that as we age, hormonally and activity-wise it's very difficult to maintain our 25 year old body. Not to mention that ability to exercise as in walk, hike, run, bike, etc. is not possible for many as they age due to various factors. Exercising for, say, flexibility and circulation isn't necessarily going to burn a lot of calories and produce firm muscle tone. People have to work with what they have and quite possibly be satisfied with their reasonable weight 50+ year old body and not yearn for their tennis-playing 25 year old body.

The poster didn't use the word "reasonable"; I did. So it was I who was implying that age may have some influence on weight. And of course there could be mitigating factors when it comes to exercise.

But for those in relatively good health who CAN exercise (even just walking), I still think that it is very possible to maintain a healthy weight. And most people without mitigating circumstances can follow a healtful diet.

And I also believe that some rationalize not doing so -- just as some talk about weight from pregnancy hanging on for years (yes, I know it's usually a one-liner).

No one says it's easy, but it can be done.

My mother lost 40 pounds at age 80 using Nutrisystem. I'm not promoting that diet and haven't used it and have no plans to. Just saying I hear women all the time say they just can't lose weight even though they eat one carrot and a bowl of steam only per day. With a few exceptions, I think they're fooling themselves about how much they eat. My mother never exercised either, other than house cleaning. I don't doubt it may take a little longer to lose weight at an older age, but saying they can't lose weight is just incorrect. Do they think if there were a famine and they stopped eating they would still weigh 200 pounds? I am saying this as someone who is postmenopausal and about 70 pouunds overweight. I know I can lose weight, because I have postmenopausally. I had gained about 20 pounds one year, and my endocrinologist asked if I knew how I gained the weight. I said, "Yes. I like food, and I ate a lot of it." He burst out laughing and said, "Finally, an honest patient!"

@Feliciti

Congrats to your mom on her weight loss..... I hope she enjoys Nutrisystems and wants to eat nothing but that, because people that use that method to lose weight....the minute they go back to eating a regular diet, or how they used to cook and prepare meals, usually gain all their weight back.....I work with folks that did just that and that's the problem with Nutrisystems,Jenny Craig, and similar plans.....it should be about a life style change, (common sense on food, less sugar, more vegetables and fruit etc) and you DO need to "keep moving" for good health....I just saw a report on our local news that walking briskly for 20 minutes 4-5 days a week can help prevent diabetes for most people.....and its good for combating high blood pressure etc etc.....And some people do have thyroid issues or on medication that they take which is a factor on how difficult it is to lose weight too...