Trusted Contributor

Re: Carolyn Gracie on Denim + Co

Totally agree  @SPURT.  The fashion people do seem to like tight clothes.  Some of the ladies on our local newscasts are guilty of the tight clothes syndrome.  One weather lady in particular wears her clothes so darn tight that I find myself yelling at the screen to please go up 2 sizes lol.  Alas, she doesn't listen to me.  It's funny how so many listen to the dictates of the "experts".

As for the real woman comment, perhaps a better choice should be - many women, since look around you, so many people, men and women, are not model sized.

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@LancerHawkFriar@sparklestar

Carolyn is my favorite QVC host....she is pleasant, informative, and comes across as genuine regarding her body type, size etc......and the fact she loves animals is an added bonus.....

I think the problem with the too tight clothes comes from QVC's stylist....many people had commented on her Facebook Page about her wearing clothes that were too tight......I heard her once say that the stylist told her that clothes should fit close to the body, if clothes were worn a little looser they make you look heavier......so I think that is where this is coming from....And at one time Carolyn had said she had received so many comments regarding the clothes being too tight that she would try on clothes in her regular size and then try one size larger and wear on air what she thought would look better......but this was a while back and I think she has abandoned the idea.....

This must be what the fashion world considers appropriate because I've seen this not only on QVC but on local and national newscasters, TV shows, interviews etc etc....There is one local commercial for a college....the 20 year old wears a XS but it looks like she was squeezed into an XXS blousse, it's so tight there are gaps between the buttons and it looks like the clothes are so tight it makes it difficult for her to speak.....so this seems to impact women of all shapes/sizes....Personally, I want to see well fitted clothes, not too tight, and not too baggy.....just a proper fit!!!

Hah.   As my mother used to say, "just because you can get it on does not mean it FITS."   Shawn is also guilty of squeezing into jackets 2 sizes too small that don't have a prayer of meeting in the middle.   It's a common occurence on Q. 

Honored Contributor

@mac116   IMO, a jacket doesn't have to be worn zipped, buttoned or snapped, but it should be large enough across the front so that it looks like you could close it if you wanted to do that.

QVC Social Team

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind.

Respected Contributor

It's often been discussed that QVC seems to think it's okay for women's jackets to be ill-fitting. Hopefully, women who want more elegance in their look will disregard the cheesy look QVC is pushing and size up.

Carolyn should too.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2  IMO just because you "gottta it"  doesn't mean you "gotta flaunt it".

Honored Contributor

@Feliciti. Wearing baggy jackets or clothing to try to disguise your "flaws" is just as unflattering as trying to squeeze into a garment that's 2 sizes too small. No one but you can see the size tag inside tops or bottoms.....if it bothers you, cut the tag out. 

Honored Contributor

I'll refer to my other reply. In general, it's not all about size, it's about healthy weight. If you're at a healthy weight and wear a size 6,8, or 16.....accept yourself and don't try to squeeze into 2 sizes too small. We not only do a disservice to ourselves & other women, but what about teenagers, our daughters and young girls struggling w/ body image. What does it say to them if we are unwilling to see our true weight on the scale, accept it and dress that size? What are we saying to ourselves? At 5'1", and 68 yrs. old, yes I've been able to maintain my 105 lbs. but not w/o a lot of work.

Before you hate me, I have major size issues, too. As a former gymnast from age 4 through college (think about their body type in the Olympics), I'm a size 4 on the bottom, but a size 12 (yes, not a typo) on top or a large in a tee or jacket to accommodate my broad shoulders. I've never been able to find a dress that fits for that reason. A dress in a size 12 can't be tailored enough for the rest of me w/o remaking the entire garment. I have to purchase separates...skirts w/ matching jackets. That's what took me 6 months to find for my daughter's wedding...a cocktail suit. It's a family joke about my not wearing dresses. When my son was getting engaging, he broke the news to me by saying, "Mom, you have a year". Confused, I asked for what? "To find a dress. We just got engaged"!!!!

Contributor

My favorite outfits that Carolyn wears is when she hosts her shows with Ellen out in LA.  They were super cute and fun especially this year.  Stylists help them dress all the time, period.  BUT and a big but, the hosts have input because the way Mary Beth and Shawn dress are on two different ends of the spectrum. 

Honored Contributor

"...just because you can get it on doesn't mean it fits!"....
That's a fantastic quote!  And I have to laugh at some of them with jackets so incredibly tight that their arms are virtual prisoners... they can't get their arms up even with stretchy material....  it really makes someone look far larger than they really are.
*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*