Honored Contributor

Re: Carolyn Gracie on Denim + Co

@DiAnne wrote:

@MarthaStewardess wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

What is "real women"????  I'm a size 2-4, am I not real? 

Maybe she chose her own clothing.  How do you know somone else dressed her?

I get so tired of these "real women" comments.  It would seem that only women the size and shape of Carolyn are considered to be real women, according to many posters here and many hosts on QVC.  I'm 6ft tall and slim and I am just as real as anyone else!

As far as her clothes go, I do think she often wears things that don't flatter her.  The short jackets only seem to emphasize her widest part and when it looks like the two sides won't meet in the middle to do up, that just makes it worse.

@MarthaStewardess

I get sick of the "real woman" comments also.  We better eat more and stop exercising so we can be "real women" also.  

LOL.... generally I have always taken that term to mean "middle American women" as most women in this country are not tall and slim, or average height and slim for that matter.....  over the years this term has morphed into "real woman", and I agree, not the best way to describe it..... Woman Happy  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Well, I am tall and slim.  I don't plan to eat myself into obesity so I can be a 'real size woman'.  Woman Wink

I think it's just a term used and isn't meant to be rude to anyone.

Super Contributor

ITA about the "real" woman comment. I have been sizes 2 to 8 (much younger) and currently a 10. So, I guess I was not "real" at the smaller sizes. I just hope Carolyn doesn't loose weight because then she'll forfit her "real" woman status. Just an idiotic statement!
Respected Contributor

We all make choices every day that affect our weight and health. The first time I reached goal weight with weight watchers it was 20 years ago and my weight was 128. I went off the plan and gained over 30 pounds. I have been at goal weight for over 3 years but my goal weight now is 138. I am retired and 66 years old but still within normal BMI and a size 10. I enjoy exercise and only take blood pressure meds. I said all that to explain that I am reasonable about what can be achieved but most of all what can be MAINTAINED. It is not easy but I look at it as a life style not a diet.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MarthaStewardess wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

What is "real women"????  I'm a size 2-4, am I not real? 

Maybe she chose her own clothing.  How do you know somone else dressed her?

I get so tired of these "real women" comments.  It would seem that only women the size and shape of Carolyn are considered to be real women, according to many posters here and many hosts on QVC.  I'm 6ft tall and slim and I am just as real as anyone else!

As far as her clothes go, I do think she often wears things that don't flatter her.  The short jackets only seem to emphasize her widest part and when it looks like the two sides won't meet in the middle to do up, that just makes it worse.

Thank you, thank you, thank you,....on behalf of all of the "unreal" women out there.

I didn't realize you had to be a large or a plus size to be considered "real." 

Respected Contributor

First, I do like Carolyn. She is good at what she does.

Second - I think women on the whole tend to wear too small of a size. I think it is a state of mind thing - like, oh, I CAN wear a 12, but SHOULD wear a 14 - that, kind of thing.... I, myself just wear whatever size works the best in a particular brand - they all seem to vary so much from one to another these days. 

Some women like to wear tighter fitting clothes, some don't. and, some women just refuse to put on a larger size if they can still squeeze into the smaller one. And, some go to the other extreme and wear moo moo type clothes that make them look even bigger. To each their own. 

This has been brought up before though about Carolyn. She always looks presentable to me.

-Texas Hill Country-
Regular Contributor

Carolyn is the best....she reminds me of Kathie Levine....I will watch her sell anything!  I can easily identify with her and totally enjoy her shows.

That said....

I often feel many of the hosts and models need to "go up a size".  I learned long ago not to be obsessed by the number on the size tag....I am more concerned with how a garment looks and feels.

Frequent Contributor

@corita wrote:

@LancerHawkFriar wrote:

I like CG very much. She is a real sized woman and owns it and talks about her figure flaws etc...very honestly And candidly which is very refreshing.  My peeve today is whoever styled her outfit today made a huge booboo.....that jacket she had on did not fit her at all!!! No way could she zip that thing! It was so unflattering on her. I felt bad for her because ususlly she looks great. Think the wardrobe/stylists need to rethink their choices...

-------------------

I agree with every thing you said about Carolyn - her honesty and openness.  And yes, it seems like everytime I have seen Carolyn lately, her clothes do not fit her body!!  I do think it is as simple as wearing clothes in a larger size.   I also think the same happens to two other Q people that I like - Leah and Jaquie, the model.

I agree with you. I think her jackets and tops are always too small, and she is beautiful and would look even better with proper-size tops/jackets.

Frequent Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:

its funny how we all see things so differently!

when i tuned in and saw caroline today, first thing i thought was how FABULOUS that jacket looked on her.  

it is, by the way, a style that is not supposed to be zipped shut, ... it's supposed to stay open.  it fit her to a T !!  and it looked so good with all black on underneath.  

this is only my own personal opinion, but i find that, being hippy, my clothes look better a little fitted. (there is a difference between tight and fitted, as my DD always tells me when i ask if something is too tight LOL).  on ME (i have been told) that something nicely fitted around my middle calls LESS attention to my spreading middle than hanging a big tent over it. 

You're right about not wearing a big tent, but no one here is suggesting she do that. Just wear tops and jackets that don't emphasize her size by being too small.

Frequent Contributor

@Feliciti wrote:

@fancy pantsy wrote:

its funny how we all see things so differently!

when i tuned in and saw caroline today, first thing i thought was how FABULOUS that jacket looked on her.  

it is, by the way, a style that is not supposed to be zipped shut, ... it's supposed to stay open.  it fit her to a T !!  and it looked so good with all black on underneath.  

this is only my own personal opinion, but i find that, being hippy, my clothes look better a little fitted. (there is a difference between tight and fitted, as my DD always tells me when i ask if something is too tight LOL).  on ME (i have been told) that something nicely fitted around my middle calls LESS attention to my spreading middle than hanging a big tent over it. 

You're right about not wearing a big tent, but no one here is suggesting she do that. Just wear tops and jackets that don't emphasize her size by being too small.

P.S. As a pear-shaped woman myself, I do understand that she may be trying to have things fit in the shoulders. It is frustrating to have thing large enough for my abdomen and hips be way too big in the shoulders, so she could be opting to fit the shoulders better than the middle/hips. Besides being plus size, I'm 5'10", so I rarely have the luxury of anything really fitting me right. There are many tops in petite size but almost zero tall ones. I do know her struggle and frustrations with fitting things, and I still love her, regardless.