Super Contributor

Can You Slow Down the Seasons Please?

I don't know when Christmas in July as a sales event started; but it sure seems that in the past few years (much like the start of school at least in the South), it's happening much sooner than ever--even in June.  I'm not a Scrooge, but I do wonder how in the world I could eveer get excited about Christmas when the heat index is 113 or more.   When I was a child, I could not even think about Christmas and what I wanted from Santa until after Thanksgiving. (Okay, I'll admit that I'm a baby boomer so that does date me.)  The materialism around holidays is crazy and got even crazier during Covid with the "If you don't get this now, it won't reach you on time" push in marketing.  Life goes by all too quickly anyway, so can we just slow down the seasons and enjoy each as it comes.  (And, yes, I know I don't have to watch shows on QVC about Christmas or Halloween or whatever.)

Respected Contributor

Re: Can You Slow Down the Seasons Please?

[ Edited ]

@InStitches49 wrote:

I don't know when Christmas in July as a sales event started; but it sure seems that in the past few years (much like the start of school at least in the South), it's happening much sooner than ever--even in June.  I'm not a Scrooge, but I do wonder how in the world I could eveer get excited about Christmas when the heat index is 113 or more.   When I was a child, I could not even think about Christmas and what I wanted from Santa until after Thanksgiving. (Okay, I'll admit that I'm a baby boomer so that does date me.)  The materialism around holidays is crazy and got even crazier during Covid with the "If you don't get this now, it won't reach you on time" push in marketing.  Life goes by all too quickly anyway, so can we just slow down the seasons and enjoy each as it comes.  (And, yes, I know I don't have to watch shows on QVC about Christmas or Halloween or whatever.)

@InStitches49  Maybe as you say you can walk away from the TV, great idea not to watch the shows.  What makes you enjoy this particular current season?

Respected Contributor

❤ CIJ.

Esteemed Contributor

@InStitches49 wrote:

@InStitches49  This has been going on for several years.  Your not going to stop it BUT The TSV can be used all year.  Many retail companies are doing this.  Many people love this and I am not really into it but they do have some good sales at times that don't run later in the year.  

Trusted Contributor

Totally agree! I like to enjoy each season fully before I move onto the next!! Life moves fast enough and I try to slow mine down a little!!!

Honored Contributor

I agree about time flying by and I wish it would slow down.  Watching the Christmas in July shows especially the Valerie shows, lifts my spirits and makes me happy.  That is the reason I watch these holiday shows and still enjoy every day of the summer season.

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I agree about time flying by and I wish it would slow down.  Watching the Christmas in July shows especially the Valerie shows, lifts my spirits and makes me happy.  That is the reason I watch these holiday shows and still enjoy every day of the summer season.

@spiderw - ITA!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@InStitches49 wrote:

@InStitches49 

So, don't watch the CiJ shows.  Problem solved.

When I first joined these message boards, I made a comment about the CIJ shows.  Not snarky, just the idea of who the heck wants to think about Christmas now? 

A very nice retired woman told me that while they are getting by, they are always careful with money.  And they have several children and grandchildren.  The selection of toys and whatnot that gets shown all month can be selected and paid for on easy pay.  This way, they could select several items, pay for them over several months, and have them paid for and ready to wrap in December.

I hadn't thought about older people buying for family, but it makes sense.   It's a good way to manage the gift giving.  I agreed with her.  We all like to plan ahead when we can.  This is one way to handle it.

That's my two cents on the subject.

Contributor

Yeah, I know there is a commercialized side of Christmas, but we can also choose to see beyond that and see the fun, comforting, spiritual side of the season. Especially effective when the heat is unbearable!
Super Contributor

I hate Christmas in July. Let me enjoy the summer.