Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919   YUP!  Those are the only cams my 96 yr old mother uses. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 I'm sure they do as I was at Walgreen's this week and saw drop box that said it was for developing disposable cameras.

Respected Contributor

@mspatmac 

You are correct in stating I am not into photography.  You are also correct when you say I do not understand.  I guess I am thinking along the lines how much phones have improved and how much photography has improved on these "low end " devices.  For most people, I believe these devices are satisfactory.  Professionals demand the best, so I guess there will always be a market for them.  I'm just thinking that for the average QVC customer/hobby/family photographer, this $500 camera offered is not very tempting. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@sunshine 919   YUP!  Those are the only cams my 96 yr old mother uses. Smiley LOL

Thank you I knew I was not the only one lol

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@sunshine 919 I'm sure they do as I was at Walgreen's this week and saw drop box that said it was for developing disposable cameras.

There are a lot of Walgreens where I live.  I will check it out.  Thank youMan SurprisedSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I bought my Canon camera several years ago & it was $450. Pretty basic, but a lot of settings & a decent zoom lens.

I have 5 grandsons & wanted to be able to take pictures of them doing whatever they decide to do. Sports, show choir, whatever.

And, they love to use it to take pictures & make videos.

I love my camera phone & it is very convenient, but I LOVE using my real camera.

My DIL is an art teacher & she is teaching photography to her high school students. Some want to use real cameras & some want to use their phones, so she teaches them both.

Respected Contributor

The moon was full and pink this week and I tried to take lots of photos with my phone camera and they came out blurry and somewhat nondescript.  

Yesterday I saw two cardinals in a bush and I really wanted to capture the scene.

Ahh--if only I had a high quality camera with a telescopic lens!

Those who have to ask about a camera cost do not understand the real visual opportunities that can be achieved in having such a deluxe piece of technology.

Yes, photography is a profession, similar to an artist, and high quality cameras are a must.  But those cameras can be complex to learn and require lots of settings and changings of lenses.  And yes, all of the components can cost a pretty penny (some cameras are more than $5000.00). Both DF and DB had those fancy cameras, but I never got the hang of them.

So I use my little phone camera and my low budget single shot camera, but I drool over the photos the experts take with their fancy lenses and expensive cameras!

Esteemed Contributor

"...what kind of a market exists for a high-end, high-resolution, high quality, but EXPENSIVE camera?" @maximillian 

In addition to the previous replies my first thought was influencers. Between instagram, youtube, and tiktok there are millions and millions of people purchasing and using expensive equipment. 

I had just finished watching a youtube vlog when I came here so out of curiousity I went back to check on what camera she uses. It turns out she uses the Canon Poweshot G7 which is currently on sale for $550 (down from $680) for vlogging and uses the CanonD80 for IG. I decided to check on another vlogger and instagramer I regularly watch and found out her camera of choice is also a Canon 80D which I found selling for $899 to well over a thousand. I checked one last vlogger for the heck of it and she, also, uses the Canon G7.

These infuencers also either hire editors or buy programs like Apple's Final Cut Pro and subscribe to sites like epidemic sound for background music. It's not a cheap proposition for those who do it well and the cameras I mentioned here are considered pretty minimal as far as good cameras go. I looked on the Canon website and almost choked when the first camera I saw was over $6000! The market is definitely there for these mid-range cameras. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's been interesting reading the replies here.  Funny, though, last night DH and I were changing places at the TV and he turned it to QVC for me.  The camera was being shown and the first thing he said was "five hundred dollars?".  It wouldn't surprise me if he's never owned a camera.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@maximillianI suspect that's cheap for a professional photographer who needs the most sophisticated equipment available.