Respected Contributor

I have a weakness for carrot cake, and would spend a small fortune buying all the ingredients in the past when I baked. So when I get curbside pickup from a restaurant that carries carrot cake I will break down and buy a slice. Usually it's around $10.95 a slice. That slice seems about the same size as 1/8 of this cake. So while the cake seems expensive, I don't find it too outrageous. I think these type of desserts are for a splurge gift to send someone.

Look at the comparable prices for cakes on sites like Goldbelly. And shipping cost are usually tacked on.

What bothers me is the cost at a grocery bakery for a cake made with ingredients that have never seen a cow.

Trusted Contributor

That is outrageous for a cake.  Speaking of prices I just saw Alex Guranachelli selling 3 dozenv raviolis for a feature price of $64.70 reg price $71.20.  I think that is high also.

Jessa
Trusted Contributor

@LilMadi  Just ignore her. She attacks everybody. I think it is her full time job!  I totally agree with you on your post.  I wish the trolls would stay underground!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Spurt love the Grandma's brand. Wish I could find them at half the QVC price.

Respected Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

I have a weakness for carrot cake, and would spend a small fortune buying all the ingredients in the past when I baked. So when I get curbside pickup from a restaurant that carries carrot cake I will break down and buy a slice. Usually it's around $10.95 a slice. That slice seems about the same size as 1/8 of this cake. So while the cake seems expensive, I don't find it too outrageous. I think these type of desserts are for a splurge gift to send someone.

Look at the comparable prices for cakes on sites like Goldbelly. And shipping cost are usually tacked on.

What bothers me is the cost at a grocery bakery for a cake made with ingredients that have never seen a cow.

ingredients that have never seen a cow??   Can you explain please?

Respected Contributor

Different prices for things in different areas. There's a specialty store near me that sells Grandma's cake...from their freezer. Who knows how long they've been in there. The price is $24.95. 

Respected Contributor

Milk, cream, cream cheese, butter...

Respected Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

@LilMadi  Just ignore her. She attacks everybody. I think it is her full time job!  I totally agree with you on your post.  I wish the trolls would stay underground!!!!

When ever I see a  reply from said person .. I know its going to be nasty ....

Respected Contributor

@LilMadi   I agree, that cake is too expensive for me, but for those willing to buy, good for them, and I hope they enjoy it!  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

While I agree that that cake is expensive, I also know that baked goods at my local bakery aren't cheap either.  

Wedding cakes are super expensive and they are priced per slice.  I paid a little over $1500 for my daughter's wedding cake and that was 18 years ago.

You pay for the convenience and fresh ingredients.  Yes, you can buy a cake at the grocery store or Walmart, but they are made from mixes.

If I need a cake, I bake one from scratch.  Lucky for me, my daughter and especially my granddaughter can decorate a cake like a pro.  So, if I need one to look professionally decorated, I call one of them.

Some people do not mind paying a high price for quality, especially for a special occasion.